Customs Declarations

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Customs Declarations

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

We will be taking up residence in Ecuador in early 2013. As residents, what are the limits on goods purchased while vacationing back in Canada? Is there a dollar amount as in Canada & the US? Restriction on the quantity of alcohol etc?

Also, what are the restrictions and duties on goods ordered over the internet?

Thanks
    Richard Aitkenhead

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

We’ve never had a problem bringing our limit of stuff packed in suitcases back from the US or wherever we have traveled. And we’ve brought some odd stuff…ceramic fireplace logs, a bread machine, and of course…linens and towels (you’ll spend less and get better quality stuff in North America.) However, everything you bring should be for personal use, including electronics. I’ve found that usually means I can get through with two laptops, camera, video camera, ipad, and phone. There are rumors that Ecuador customs wants to get more serious about the amount of electronics coming in but unless you’re trying to bring lots of stuff for resale you should not have a problem. We also bring spices, Ranch dressing mix and that sort of stuff that’s hard to find here. You might have a problem bringing seeds and plants…that sort of thing. For alcohol I believe the current rule is 3 liters per person — that’s what I was told in Panama duty-free a few weeks ago. (We brought 5 between us, no problem.) And if you enjoy alcohol, I definitely recommend sticking up in duty free on the way here…on fine spirits, anyhow.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.