Deep Water Wanted

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Deep Water Wanted

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

In looking for a place in Panama it seems the Pacific coast with it’s huge tides is not ideal for a boat owner wanting
    to fish from the local waters. Am I wrong in assuming the entire Pacific coast is this way or are there parts of the Pacific
    coast that would allow me deep water access (6 feet or more) along the coast somewhere? Or should I just look on the Carribean
    side?. I do want to live on the beach.
    Mark

Hi Mark- thanks for your inquiry here at the Insider.

You are correct that the entire Pacific coast in Panama has a broad tidal range and you need to go offshore to reach deeper water.
    However, that doesn’t prevent Panama from being a world-class fishing destination nor deter anglers from coming here to land many species of game and table fish.

There are a few spots that offer easier access and have marinas and/or fishing boat fleets available:
    Isla Flamenco at the end of the Amador Causeway has a large marina and boats have quick access to Panama Bay and the Pearl Islands.
    Pedasi, on the Azuero Peninsula, faces east rather than south and has easy access to fishing grounds and islands just offshore.
    Santa Catalina, just west of Azuero, is a fishing/surfing/diving village with fishing boats that head out to Isla Coiba and the Hannibal Bank. It’s a bit more remote but I understand the fishing is good.
    Further west in Chiriqui Province the place to go is Boca Chica. The water near shore is deeper and a number of islands and reefs are easily reached from shore. Marinas and resorts offer a full range of fishing services.
    And finally, right near the border with Costa Rica there’s a long peninsula that has good fishing just offshore. The town of Puerto Armuelles faces east on the coast and further along you come to Punta Burica. A few operators offer fishing trips in that area.

On the Caribbean coast you’ll find marinas and good services in Bocas del Toro and to the west and east of the city of Colon. Shelter Bay and environs may be worth checking out.

So you do have some options… plan a visit and check them out! And feel free to write again if you need more info.
    Best regards, Linda

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.