Do I need to learn Spanish?

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Do I need to learn Spanish?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Even if you’re Spanish isn’t up to scratch, any attempt will certainly help if you live in Panama. The locals will respect you for putting yourself out there, and for not being afraid to try (or make mistakes). Some regions, like Azuero, require more Spanish, while in some places, like Panama City, it’s relatively easy to move about without speaking the language. Learn more about the language here: https://internationalliving.com/country_clubs/panama/the-language/

Are you planning to learn Spanish? If so, how are you doing it?

Have a great day Panama Insiders!

IL Panama editor Jessica Ramesch

YEW HUNG LAM
    Participant

In my opinion, anyone who plans to take up residency in Panama will need to know some Spanish to be somewhat comfortable with day-today life.

I feel that IL should not perpetuate the myth that one can manage without knowing any Spanish within Panama City in its reports and articles. I have found this to be false.

Even though I started to study Spanish in 2005, I still got frustrated trying to communicate with the locals on my 3 trips to Panama thus far because my Spanish vocabulary failed me and listening to Spanish is so much more difficult than reading it. Also, classroom Spanish and conversational Spanish in real life are totally different.  I know that there are those on the Yahoo Groups forums on Panama who boast that they had lived in Panama for years and have neither bothered nor felt the need  to learn Spanish, but that is not my experience.

You would think that at least someone in a bank would know how to speak English, but that is not the case. I walked into the Citibank branch in Multiplaza and had to open my bank accounts totally in Spanish. I suspect that the bank officer who attended to me knew some English, but claimed ignorance just for the joy of putting me through the wringer.

Yes, most of the more senior lawyers speak English, but the junior associates usually do not. When the more senior lawyer handling your visa application is too to busy to accompany you to Immigration, you get assigned a junior associate who do not speak English.

My point is that one cannot survive without making the effort to learn to communicate in the local language.

DOUG HENDRICKSON
    Participant

I agree with your last point. However, I was surprised to hear that the senior lawyers spoke English and not the juniors. Whenever I travelled overseas on business, it seemed that the younger generation knew English better than their elders. Or perhaps they were being sly?

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

I have encountered a great many English speakers among the young here…even in restaurants, which is surprising to me because a few years ago that was not the case and I fully expected to have to communicate in Spanish outside of white collar businesses. But recently even in restaurants and shops, when attendants hear me speaking in English, they are eager to switch to English and practice their English with me. Naturally, I also learned Spanish during my first year of living here, so I always make an effort, out of courtesy and respect for the local language, to speak Spanish. While I was learning I found people were very patient and helpful.

Generally when I go, in Panama City, to a bank or a service provider (like Movistar or Cable & Wireless) there is an English speaker on hand, though one might have to wait to be attended to by that person. Not 100% of the time, sometimes there’s not an English speaker present, but I’d say 80% of the time, yes. Pretty wonderful!

As I mentioned above, it is relatively easy in Panama City to move about even with no Spanish/minimal Spanish. Most of the expats we have interviewed who are living here and still learning the language say that people here go out of their way to help (of course, provided one is friendly and respectful, and shows one is trying to learn).

International Living;s articles have always been clear: yes the percentage of English speakers here is very large…and growing every day…but the national language is Spanish, and if you learn it (even just a little) you will get much more out of your Panama experience.

That said, there are many people who live here and say they manage just fine with minimal Spanish. I have a friend who has been here five years and barely speaks/understands Spanish, but gets by just fine with a big smile, lots of “gracias” and “por favor”s…and patience.

Anyone else care to share their experience?

Have a great day Panama Insiders!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.