Do you recommend vaccines

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Do you recommend vaccines

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MELANIE CLARK
    Participant

Do people generally get vaccines before coming to Ecuador.

Hi Melanie,

That really depends on the person and how they feel about vaccines. There are no mandatory vaccines when moving to Ecuador and there are really only a few diseases that you might be concerned about. The few that expats generally get vaccinated for are typhoid and Hepatitis A & B.

Having contracted Hep A, I’m of the opinion that it would be a good idea to at least get vaccinated for Hepatitis as the disease is no walk in the park!

Yellow fever vaccines are required by certain countries (like Costa Rica and Panama) if you are traveling there directly from Ecuador, so that might be a consideration for you as well. You are unlikely to contract yellow fever though unless you visit the deep Amazon region of Ecuador.

Melanie, this is one of those topics with no “right” answer. I didn’t, nor did hardly any of the expats I know.

SUSAN P.
    Participant

I’m flying into Quito then going to Manta and driving along the coast. My doctor gave me a prescription for malaria pills (1 pill per week for 10 weeks). Its seems a little excessive. Do I need this? (I’ve already been vaccinated for typhoid and Hep A/B) Thanks for your help. Sue

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Personally I would never take the malaria pills, and I’ve been living and traveling in the tropics for 13 years now. Ecuador claims to have eradicated malaria — not sure if that’s true, but it’s highly doubtful you’ll get it traveling along the coast. It’s dengue that’s the problem, and there is no vaccine for that. Instead, use repellant and cover up. I’ve never noticed a big problem on the coast — you’ll know if you encounter one. Dengue mozzies supposedly only bite during the day, but be sure you have screens on your windows or use a mosquito net. It’s doubtful you’ll have a problem.

I’m not particularly paranoid, but if spending $ now for a vaccine in the states can possibly prevent spending $$$$ on medical treatment in an unfamiliar medical system later, I’ll go with the odds. I’ve had vaccinations for Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Hep A/B and Shingles (because it’s not available in Ec) and I’m considering Pneumonia as well. And unlike Wendy, I’ve never had Hep A, but witnessed a friend dealing with it when I lived in Brasil and I don’t choose to chance it. It only takes one restaurant worker not washing their hands to infect another person by food borne bacterium. Hep A isn’t unheard of in the USA either. BTW, I arrive in Quito May 5 !!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.