Documents required for traveling inside CR

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Documents required for traveling inside CR

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    MICHEAL LEVINE
    Participant

I have been traveling in CR for the last three years. I had always been advised to keep my passport in a safe place (hotel room safe, for example) and carry a photocopy of the first 2 pages of the passport on my person. I have done this and up to this last trip, have never had a problem. Banks, which require ID before changing currency, have accepted the photocopy without question.

But on this trip (Jan 2015) we were stopped on 2 occasions on the highway by policia who asked for our passports, and were not at all happy with the photocopy. We were told that we needed a copy that was authenticated by an abogado (attorney) with a raised seal. One policeman even threatened that we would be hauled off in handcuffs to La ImigraciĆ³n if he met us again without the required document.
    We went to an attorney’s office and got the authenticated copy. [There is a fee for this service.]

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

I usually bring my passport when I’m driving, just to be safe. But from what I understand, it is usually permissible to only carry a photocopy of the picture page and the page with your visa stamp showing you are in the country legally.

But you will find in Costa Rica that sometimes the laws/regulations haven’t filtered down to the official you are dealing with, whether it be immigration, someone at the bank, or wherever you go. It can be frustrating.

Driving without any sort of passport or copy is definitely a no-no. Sometimes they will take you to immigration until you can get the required documentation. There is also a fine.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.