Drinking Water ?? Do you need to buy Bottled Water or can you drink tap water ?

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Drinking Water ?? Do you need to buy Bottled Water or can you drink tap water ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    MICHAEL R.

Hello Suzan or Ecuadorian Expats

I plan on retiring in a coastal area, does the drinking water need to be bottled water? or can you drink tap water?

Thanks,
    Mike Ryan

Drink bottled water only on the coast, Mike.

GRETCHEN SOLDAT
    Participant

Hi Mike,

At our condo complex on the coast in Canoa, 5-gallon bottles of drinking water are delivered, and even carried up the stairs for very low cost. Household use water is also delivered to a cistern underground. Irrigation water comes from the river. FYI, lots of goods get delivered–shrimp, cheese, coffee, even beer! The locals see a good business opportunity with all car-less expats. Nice!

MICHAEL R.

Hi Edd and Gretchen

Thanks for the great information. What does 5 gallons of bottled water cost to be delivered?

Thanks,
    Mike Ryan
    San Diego, California

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

We were paying $3 at one time.

STEVE BOTTLE

Hi Suzan,

Do you also use bottled water in Cuenca? What about Cotacaci (sp?)? My wife and are are most likely coming to check out Ecuador for 3 months late this year or early next year.

Kind regards,
    Steve Bottle
    Johannesburg, SA

Steve, since I live in Cuenca I can tell you our tap water is ranked the best in Ecuador, so bottled water is an option, not a necessity..

In Cotacachi many people drink the city water and never have a problem. Some of us like to be extra cautious and so we buy bottled water or use water filters.

Milan Pakes

HI, I visit Guayaquil each year and visit other cities also. What I’ve learned to do when visiting private homes / family is to put 1 cup of Bleach into their water tank each place I go the moment I get there. If I stay more than 2 days I put a 1/2 cup each day into the water tank. I let the water run for a day to clean the pipes, then I use it and have no problems. Bleach kills all the germs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.