Drivers recommended by IL

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Drivers recommended by IL

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    STAN SMITH
    Participant

I contacted a couple of drivers recommended by IL about transports in the Quito / Cotacachi areas. We are traveling to Ecuador June 9 thru June 24 for a recon trip. I either have not gotten a reply or they asked for payment immediately. I asked if this was the norm and have not gotten a reply.
    Is this customary for drivers in Ecuador?

Delayed or no response to e-mails can be normal among Ecuadoreans. For the average Ecuadorean, e-mail has not taken over as the most popular method of communication (they still prefer a more personal means of contact) and so they don’t necessarily check it every day or even every week.

I’ve never heard of drivers asking for payment in advance. Perhaps if you wanted to hire them for a long-distance or multi-day trip they might ask for a deposit, but never the whole amount. I’m curious as to which drivers you contacted and where they were recommended.

Let me know if you’d like suggestions for other drivers in the Cotacachi area and I can give you some names and contact info for the ones who get good reviews from expats.

STAN SMITH
    Participant

Hello Wendy,
    The two drivers I mentioned above are the two mentioned in IL Travel Itineraries for Quito / Cotacachi. One of them requested full payment and did a PayPal Money Request. The other one did eventually email me back but when I wanted to tie down dates he has not answered me back.
    We will be in Ecuador June 9 thru June 24 and will be Quito / Cotacachi area June 17 thru 24. We needed a transfer from Quito Airport to Cotacachi and back to Quito.
    Please send me any suggestions you may have.

Thanks
    Stan

My guess is that the driver who is requesting payment has been stood up by too many people and is trying to cover his bases. I understand, but I still would not pay someone in advance for transportation services.

A driver that I know many expats from Cotacachi use and like is Guillermo Buitron Buitron. He speaks English and from everything I’ve heard is reliable and safe. You can e-mail him at fenixturismo1@hotmail.com.

STAN SMITH
    Participant

Thank you Wendy!

STAN SMITH
    Participant

I have another question. I’m sure it has been discussed in the past but what is the best and least expensive way to get local cell phone service in Ecuador? It would be nice to be able to call for reservations, your driver, etc.

Thanks
    Stan

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Stan, if you bring an unlocked cellphone you can buy a SIM card in Ecuador with a local number. Alternatively, you can buy a cheap phone…like a Nokia, etc. for about $40 that will give you a local number. Then you can add minutes to it when you run out. Most people I know opt for the Claro network. You’ll see Claro signs all over Ecuador. Just go into one of these and they can set you up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.