Driving a rental car into Belize from Chetumal

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum Driving a rental car into Belize from Chetumal

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bob Leblanc
    Participant

Hello Belize Insider,
    My wife and I are planning a trip to Mexico in January and then plan to drive a rental car from Cancun to Chetumal and then across the border into Belize.
    We are then planning a month holiday in Hopkins where we’ve been a couple of times already.
    Can anyone give me any advice about crossing the border in a rental car?
    Many thanks,
    Bob LeBlanc
    Wakefield, Quebec

DAVID L.
    Participant

Have you considered two different rentals? One for in and around Mexico then a separate one in Belize. There are Tropic Air flights from Cancun to San Pedro / Belize City and very good luxury bus service from Cancun, Playa de Carma, Chetumal to Corozal and Belize City. That might evirate the border crossing and insurance concerns.

Bob,

Most car rental companies in Mexico will not allow you to drive over the border and into Belize. I know that only one does. I think that is EuRopcar. And you would be required to get insurance for your trip into Belize. So be sure to check this before you rent. It may be easier for you to rent in Mexico, then take a bus to Chetumal, cross the border into Belize, then rent a car in Belize separately, as David mentioned. Note that there is a comfortable ADO bus that travels from Cancun all the way to Belize City. I don’t think that one way bus ticket would cost more than about $30 US.

The best car rentals in Belize can be found at the international airport or in Belize City. So if you take the ADO bus you can then rent a car in Belize City, where the ADO bus route ends.

As David mentions, you can also fly on Tropic Air from Cancun to Belize International airport. But that flight is quite expensive, when compared to the bus. The bus takes about 8 hours though. The Tropic Air flight from Cancun to Belize City International is currently priced at $200-$265 one way, depending on the day of the week. That seems very steep to me, but it’s because you have to fly between two international airports. So the taxes are steep on that ticket.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.