Driving from Arizona to Costa Rica? Staying for three months…decision time!

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Driving from Arizona to Costa Rica? Staying for three months…decision time!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    PATRICIA A.

I’m new as of today!! I’m coming down in January for three months with the intent of deciding whether I definitely want a second home in Costa Rica and, if so, where? We have two dogs and a cat and there are no direct flights from Phoenix. Also, I’ve read that renting and purchasing a car is expensive in CR. I own a 2003 Subaru Baja 4WD which is in excellent condition. I’m trying to decide whether to bring it for three months and whether to ship it or drive it down. I will leave it if I decide to buy or I’ll most likely sell it and fly home otherwise. Also, once there what is the insurance situation I’d be facing as a visitor with a car? Thanks so very much, Patricia

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Patricia,

You have what sounds like the perfect car for Costa Rica. But there are some factors to consider when you bring it into Costa Rica.

You are allowed to bring the car in for up to 90 days on a tourist visa without paying import taxes. 90 days is the same amount of time you are allowed in the country as a tourist as well. You can exit the country and re-enter to renew your tourist visa for another 90 days. But your car cannot. So if you have the car in the country after 90 days you have to pay import taxes, get Costa Rican plates, register it, etc. The import taxes can be high – the reason purchasing a car here is expensive. For a car from 2003, the tax rate is more than 70% the value of the car.

If your plan is to sell it you’ll have to factor in that import tax because as soon as you or anybody try to register it, the import duties must be paid. You could always ship it or drive it back…

As far as insurance, you will have to take out a minimum policy – I believe the cost is under $20.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.