Driving in Ecuador

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Driving in Ecuador

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mark Brown

We will being going to Ecuador end of Nov. for 10 days. We would like to drive while there so we can be more independent.

Questions:

1: Is a SUV or a medium sized car recommended?
    2: Any car renting tips?
    3: Thinking is arrive in Quito and head to Cuenca and then over to the coast, head north up the coast and then back to Quito. What is the best route you would recommend?
    4: Is there any “must do” recommendations on this route or “detours” you recommend?

Main goals are to scout out the country for a possible retirement location in 8-10 years and to have a little down time. We would not mind keeping an eye out for a business opportunity that could keep us traveling back and forth until retirement. (import/export.) Any ideas/comments of these would be appreciate also.

Regards,

Mark & Sara

Hi Mark,

The first thing I’m going to say is that with your planned route and only 10 days you will spend a lot of time driving. Ecuador is a small country and on a map the distances don’t seem bad, but you’re not going to be driving 60 mph on these roads at all times. Because of the mountainous terrain you’ll often go slower with curves, hills, and slower vehicles in front of you. It’s definitely doable, but I hope you like driving. 🙂

For your questions:

1: Most of the major roads here are well maintained and smooth so unless you plan to be exploring dirt and gravel country roads a small car should be just fine. Of course a larger vehicle gives you more room and storage for luggage and would give you the option to go off the main byways if you so choose.

2: I’ve never rented a car here, so I’ll leave that question to others who have.

3: Take the PanAmerican Highway from Quito to Cuenca. From Cuenca you’ll want to take the Naranjal road to Guayaquil and from there you can head to the coast and follow the Ruta del Sol north. I don’t know how far north you want to go, but if you drive to Pedernales there is a newer highway there that connects to Quito. All of these routes should be in good condition and will be the fastest means of travel.

4: If you have time stop in Baños south of Quito. It’s known for it’s thermal springs and is a tourism hotspot. Along the coast you might want to check out Isla de la Plata near Puerto Lopez. It’s known as the “poor man’s Galapagos” because it is easily accessible from the mainland but has several of the same species you’d find in the Galapagos Islands. You can explore the island and/or snorkel.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.