Driving Regulations in Panama – Dec 2014

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Driving Regulations in Panama – Dec 2014

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

We are in Panama for our fifth visit. We bought a car last time and are okay with driving around the country. However, I heard that the new President / government has become more strict on some of the driving regulations. Particularly, with what you are required to carry with you in the car. I bought a copy of the “Reglamento De Transito” at a local store. It is, of course, in Spanish. Is there an English version available anywhere? There is supposed to be a list of things you are required to carry in your can. For instance, the “Reglamento De Transito” booklet, a fire extinguisher, warning reflectors, etc. I managed to find a fire extinguisher at Novey but am having trouble finding out what other items are on the list and where to get the items. I assume the list of items is in the booklet, which I can’t read. Does anyone have a list in English that I could access or know what page the list is on in the booklet? Most of the time we love it here in Panama. But, there are times when things are more difficult than they should be. I don’t expect everyone to cater to my every whim, but it would be easier, for everyone of any nationality, if things were logical. Thanks for any help and advice.

Hello Marion,

Thanks for your post.

Regarding the list you’re trying to find, in my version of the “reglamento” or rulebook, it is on the tenth page, after these titles and subtitles:
    TÍTULO II -NORMAS DE LOS VEHÍCULOS
    CAPÍTULO I- DE LOS VEHÍCULOS EN GENERAL
    Articulo or Article 7

Spanish being the official language, the only official versions of the Reglamento de Transito are in Spanish and yes, there should be a copy in every car.

All cars must have their yearly check, evidenced by government issued sticker on windshield and by license plates (if renting a car, the rental company will make sure its cars are in compliance).

I have never heard of a fire extinguisher being required, do not carry one in my car, and have never had one in my rental car. This is, of course, required for public transportation (e.g. metro buses). You’ve inspired me to get one, though, even if not required. It is a good idea.

You must have basic equipment (e.g., a jack, tools required to change a tire) and a spare tire.

A reflective warning triangle is listed as required, as well as items to block tires (wheel chocks or similar) but to be honest I’ve never known police to check for these particular items…though we should all have them and you’ve inspired me to correct this in my car.

Certain documents are of course required, including vehicle registration, accident report form, and proof of insurance. Again, for any readers who plan to rent a car, all this is provided by the agency.

Government websites, legal documents, etc are all in the official language, Spanish. If you’re unable to read the booklet or the website (http://www.transito.gob.pa/) where this info is clearly laid out, and/or if you want to go through the entire “reglamento” or rule book, which is certainly a worthwhile goal, then perhaps you can have a friend or your Panama attorney help you or even commission a translator to create an English version (for your understanding; cars are still required to bear the official Spanish version). An attorney is listed in the rolodex section of your Panama Insider website.

I’ll finish with a few more things that may be helpful to others reading this post:

The Panamanian government allows tourists to drive in Panama for up to 90 days from date of arrival. The assumption is that tourists drive rental cars. Legal residents who plan on having their own cars here are expected by law enforcement to obtain Panamanian drivers licenses. If you’re going to own a car here, take some Spanish lessons so you can communicate with people when you require help, read vital road signs, etc. This is particularly important if you’re going to be driving outside of busy metropolitan areas.

As stated on your Panama Insider website, tourists driving in Panama for up to 90 days should be prepared, if asked by a traffic police officer, to show a valid home country driver’s license and passport–both the photo ID page and the page bearing your entry stamp–so officials can calculate how many days you have been in the country.

There are no exceptions to the 90-day rule. Even if you apply for a change in status–for example, if you begin the residence application process and are allowed to stay in Panama past the 90-day mark–you cannot continue to drive on your home license. You can leave the country and upon your return drive for another 90 days.

There are a few steps you’ll need to follow if you wish to apply for a Panamanian license. You must have already obtained an ID (residence card) and not be here as a tourist. The steps include authenticating your home license via your home embassy here in Panama and visits to the Ministry of Foreign Relations, a lab for a blood type test, and finally the Autoridad de Transito y Transporte Terrestre (Transit Authority, or ATTT). An attorney can help you understand the process and even facilitate if you like.

If you have questions about importing a car and/or driving said car in Panama, please contact an attorney for help.

Finally, websites like Lifehacker give good recommendations for items that may not be legally required but are still good to keep in your car, I like: http://lifehacker.com/30-essential-things-you-should-keep-in-your-car-1263514115 and http://www.thesimpledollar.com/25-things-you-should-always-have-in-your-car/.

Hope this helps answer all your immediate questions. Don’t hesitate to post additional questions.

Regards,

Jessica,
    Thank you for your informative reply. I do have an additional question after reading your reply. Last year when we were here, we were talking with our attorney and others about how long you can drive on your home country driver’s license. There was some talk about changing the length of time from 90 days to 180 days. During our visit we were told by an attorney and our insurance agent that the length of time change had, in fact, been approved, and was now 180 days. Since we were here for four months we didn’t bother leaving and coming back to get the license renewed for 90 more days. We never got stopped so it never came up but I would like to know what the rule actually is, now. Did it get extended to 180 days, or were we misinformed? Thanks for your help, again.

Marion Dale Wimberley

Hello Marion,

Thanks for posting. Had there been a change I would have been happy to mention it in my post above, but the law regarding number of days one can drive here on a tourist visa remains the same. (Artículo 110 de Reglamento de Tránsito vehicular de la República de Panamá / Decreto Ejecutivo de 27 de Diciembre de 2006.)

If your attorney insists otherwise please ask her for the relevant decree # in the national gazette or Gaceta (no law can enter into effect without being posted here) and kindly let me know. I checked local sources and consulted with a reputable, dialed-in attorney specializing in immigration (contact info in the rolodex section of this website) and found there were no relevant amendments.

There were a few amendments to transit law in June of this year but they mostly beefed up sanctions for driving under the influence and other crimes.

If you hear anything else please don’t hesitate to post here so I can try to verify. Sometimes the best leads can come from a reader! Many of you travel to and fro often, so thanks for posting about your experiences in addition to posting questions and suggestions.

I’m keeping an eye out on this end, and will post any definitive updates here on your Panama Insider website. As your Panama editor a big part of my job is to monitor a variety of official and Spanish-language sources. I do this every day, and if need be I consult with an attorney (to check the validity of rumors, clarify legal matters, etc.). Then I make sure we post relevant news here in the forum or in the missives we send to your mailboxes every month (which are then posted on this website). In addition, I do major revisions of all the information on your Panama Insider website periodically. In this way we (your Panama Insider team) make every effort to keep our knowledge base up-to-date and help ensure you’re getting the best information.

Hope this helps. Don’t hesitate to post additional questions or comments.

Best,

Jessica

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.