Driving to Panama;

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Driving to Panama;

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SHARON G.

Has anybody driven to Panama from the US?

Dear Sir or Ma’am,

Thanks for posting. Very few people do this so it’s possible no one on this forum will be able to answer “yes.” Though the border between Panama and Costa Rica is safe and transited by many people every day, I cannot say the same for borders between other countries between the U.S. and Costa Rica. You can find posts on the Internet by the few intrepid (or foolhardy) souls who have driven from North America through Central America and for the most part, they all point to a certain level of risk and danger, so we do not recommend it.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Jessica Ramesch
    IL Panama Editor

Hi there- I certainly understand Jessica’s comments about the risks involved in driving through Central America, and I’m one of those intrepid (or foolhardy!) souls who has done it!!

Back in 2010 my husband and I drove from Panama to the US and back. We had no problems, but we had traveled throughout Central America by bus and boat before we made that trip, so we were familiar with the region and we knew what to expect.

At every border crossing you must obtain permission from Customs to bring your vehicle into the country, and then you go through Customs again when you leave the country at the next border crossing. This is not difficult, but it is time-consuming and you really need to speak Spanish to communicate with the border officials. You will need your original vehicle title and registration as well as copies.

It is not safe to drive in any of the Central American countries or Mexico at night, so we drive only in the daytime. The trip takes longer that way, but there are too many road hazards (huge potholes, animals, bicycles, etc.) to risk driving at night.

Unlike in the US, you will not find hotels, motels and chain restaurants at every intersection, so you must plan where you will stop every night and make sure you find secure accommodation.

So it can be done, but just know what to expect before you go. You may write to me directly at chiriqui@internationalliving.com if you’d like more details about making the trip, based on my experience.

It’s much simpler and less stressful to take the bus or fly, that’s for sure!! Check out Tica Bus, for example.

Best regards, Linda
    IL Chiriquí Correspondent

P.S. I’ll just add that it is safe to drive in much of Panama at night…and I’m sure parts of the other countries are also safe to drive at night. I live in Panama City and I try to do most of my driving at night, actually, as it’s pleasant to drive once rush hours are over. But yes, do avoid driving any dangerous areas at night. This may include international border zones known for criminal activity and country roads that have a reputation for being in ill-repair…in Panama, however, most of the PanAmerican Highway that runs the length of the isthmus is in great condition.

Best,

Jessica

Jessica Ramesch
    Panama Editor
    International Living

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.