Dying in Ecuador

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Dying in Ecuador

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DONA DEES

What is the process when someone dies in Ecuador while living there. Not on vacation

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking Dona. Could you be a little more specific? Are you wondering about funerals in Ecuador or how to notify family back in the U.S. or something entirely different?

DONA DEES

Hi Wendy,yes I was curious to know what happens if someone dies there. The whole funeral, burial,cremation?? Timing,etc. do they have cremation? What about costs? Are there cemeteries in each town? Do they have funeral homes that help walk people through this type of scenario? Oh, and no neither my husband or I are in poor health or plan to pass on any time soon. This is just an issue I wanted to get some clarification on. The whole notification of family etc is not a problem, we have lots of contact with family. We noticed a funeral or two when we were in Costa Rica and it didn’t seem like they had cremations.
    Thanks for any info you can get to us.

Most towns have at least one cemetery and burial is by far the most popular choice, though cremation is an option. I don’t have any personal experience with this so I don’t really know what the costs associated with burial or cremation are, though I’ll be sure to pop back on here if I find out. I have seen funeral homes in the larger cities, but I’ve never noticed anything like that in small towns. I do see shops that make handcrafted coffins and I’ve seen funeral processions coming out of the local churches from time to time. I suspect that since most people go to church here, the church has a large hand in helping folks through the process. And of course if someone passes away at a hospital the staff there can help direct the family as far as making funeral arrangements.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

There are few crematoriums in Ecuador. I know there is one in Quito and probably in Guayaquil but I am unsure about elsewhere. The US Embassy is a good resource for help when an expat dies in Ecuador. They can arrange for repatriation of the body, for cremation, etc. If you want to be buried in Ecuador, I’d think you’d talk with the funeral home in the town/city where you live.

DONA DEES

You guys are awesome, thanks for the info. Really looking forward to getting our house sold and showing up in Cotacachi!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.