Earthquake damage

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Earthquake damage

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    TED HOPKINS
    Participant

Read a lot about damage in Manta, etc., and even Quito. Haven’t heard much about the rest of Ecuador. How did Cuenca & other places fair?

Hi Ted, thanks for your concern.

My wife and I live in Salinas on the southwest coast. We had some pretty exciting moments, but no major damage. We never lost power or internet, for instance. That is the story for the Santa Elena peninsula, and the Ruta del Sol between here and at least Olon.

I have friends in Playas, who report the same – a lot of shaking, no damages. Perhaps others will chip in details, but I have also been told be residents that Cuenca and Loja are fine.

I’m in Cotacachi and have heard no reports of damage in this area. We did shake and roll a bit, but luckily we were far enough away from the epicenter to have sustained any real destruction. I think a few items may have fallen off shelves or walls, but no injuries have been reported and I’ve not seen any structural damage in the area.

Southern Ecuador felt the tremors but fortunately places like Cuenca, Loja, and Vilcabamba sustained no damage or injuries.

Sandra Bonar
    Participant

The pictures on TV show devastation (mostly Canadian TV but also BBC and some American TV). It seems astonishing that no one in the International Living expat community has been affected. Do any of you know people in the more affected areas? Of course they may not have power or Internet. But I wonder if we could send any help or supplies. Sandra Bonar (my son and I are planning a reconnaissance trip this summer or fall)

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Sandra, the area hardest hit is along Ecuador’s northern coast. Expats living there have, of course, been very much affected. Most expats, as most of the country’s population, tend to live in the more temperate climate of the Andes.

The best way to help is through a cash donation — there are many organizations collecting funds. Thank you–we look forward to welcoming you and your son to Ecuador.

GRETCHEN SOLDAT
    Participant

I’m late chiming in here, but our beach condo is ON the north coast about 3 miles from Canoa which suffered much damage. Our other nearby town that we shop in is Bahia de Caraquez and it was devastated. Since our complex had an American builder, it did not suffer the damage it could have, but it was also the whims of fate, as his other complex a mile away had to rebuild walls and had some structural damage in certain units. Our unit has superficial cracks in walls and floor tiles we are told. We weren’t there for it and so are uncertain exactly what we will find. But we received the approval from government inspectors to occupy it. Fortunately the building has insurance which I understand many expat homes don’t have. I guess living on the beach has its downside too…maybe we should have joined everyone else in Cuenca! I guess we’ll find out when we arrive next month….kind of scary.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.