Ecuador in October

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Ecuador in October

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DONA DEES

It looks like we may be in Ecuador in October. We plan to pack our belongings into storage until we find where we want to settle. Can anyone tell me firstly what clothing (clothes, shoes, basically full wardrobes)I should be bringing. Also should we be buying new appliances to bring with us.(having shipped) What about any new furniture we might want? I understand furniture and appliances are expensive in Ecuador. Any hints from anyone on what household things not to bring?
    I realize this is a lot but we need to start getting things together as we have now sold our home. Thanks.

The type of clothing you’ll need shouldn’t vary much throughout the year, but it will make a difference if you’re living on the coast or in the mountains. When I was on the coast I primarily wore shorts, t-shirts, sandals, and a swimsuit. I occasionally wore cargo pants, but not often.

Here in the highlands you’ll want a variety of types of clothes. When the sun is out it can be fairly warm, but if clouds drift over the sun it cools considerably. Most of us wear layers that we can take off or put on as we need while out and about. So a variety of pants, capris, short-sleeved and long-sleeved shirts, light and heavy sweaters, and a light raincoat should do. Bring good shoes too as you’ll likely find yourself walking quite a bit.

Appliances are a little more expensive here and furniture can be although you can often have quality furniture made for not much more than you would pay in the U.S. In my opinion shipping those things would cost more than just buying them here. But if you want any specialized appliances or if you’re already bringing a container down it could be worthwhile.

Here are the household things I would suggest you bring if you have room: Good quality kitchen gadgets and pots/pans. Cast iron is near impossible to find here and stainless steel is expensive. If you love your Magic Bullet or food processor, bring it with. Bring your linens if you like really good quality sheets/towels. Any electronics you need like laptops, tablets, and smartphones (unlocked). Anything else you just really love and use a lot – bring it. You never know if you’ll be able to find the same thing here. Otherwise most everything else can be found here in Ecuador.

Personally my family of four came with whatever we could bring on the plane and we’re just fine. Every now and then I wish I would have thought to bring some small item or another, but their absence is not diminishing my quality of life here. One of the fun things about moving abroad is learning to adapt and adjust as needed.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Just to add to what Wendy said, in Ecuador there is currently a big push by the government to move from gas stoves to electric induction stoves. I think it depends where you will live if this affects you. In a brand-new building, for instance, you might not be able to get a propane line, etc.

Here is an article that explains it: http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Ecuador-Pushing-for-Switch-from-Gas-to-Induction-Cooktops-20150128-0035.html

For almost certain, over the next few years the government plans to slowly reduce gas subsidies.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Also, if it were me, I’d want to be sure any appliance could be serviced in Ecuador. For instance, because of the size space we had, we bought a small stackable energy-efficient Teka washer/dryer. We recently had problems with it and learned that not only is it no longer being sold in Ecuador but we would have to import parts from the UK where these are made and they’re outrageously expensive. (I think it’s a problem with the company more than anything… apparently they’re not doing too well.) Luckily, repair guys in Ecuador, including one of our gringo neighbors, are very resourceful. They managed to fix it, although they had to remove the selector knob so now it has a gaping hole there and we have to turn it off manually. But it works.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.