Ecuador interest rate on certificate of deposit

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Ecuador interest rate on certificate of deposit

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ROBERT CRENSHAW
    Participant

What is the interest rate on a CD in Ecuador ? Do you have to be a resident ? I have read about Coopera’s which I believe are something similar to the USA’s credit unions. Could you shed some light on this ? Thanks, Robert

Hi Robert,

Interest rates for CDs in Ecuador can vary greatly from bank to bank, but are still generally higher than what you’ll find in the U.S. One of the more popular banks here pays up to around 6%, but others pay more even up to 9% or 10% depending on the amount of the investment and length of term. You’ll want to do your research on any institution that you choose to invest with though as some are more sound than others.

There are cooperativas here and they are similar to a credit union. I know of at least one cooperativa which will allow you to open a CD without being a resident or even being in the country, but I suspect there are others. It could be worth looking into for investment purposes, but like I said make sure you thoroughly research the financial institution before depositing money with them. They’re not likely to get government bailouts like they do in the U.S. in the event of a failure.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.