Ecuador itinerary

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Ecuador itinerary

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    LAWRENCE SCHULTZ
    Participant

Having had my visit cut short to Ecuador because of health reasons (spent three weeks in Salinas and visited Vilcabamba) I am wondering about this itinerary.  1.  Fly into Quito and then go to Cotacachi and Otaval for 2 or 3 days (would anyone recommend Inn Land of the Sun in Cotacachi and La Posada del Quinde in Otavalo?)  2.  Fly to Cuenca for 3 nights.  3.  Fly to Manta and spend a few days going north and south on the coast.

Any thoughts on this itinerary?

Ambitious but doable. My colleague Suzan can better comment on accommodations in Cotachachi/Otavalo since she lives there.

Hey, click on the “Special Reports” tab, then “Travel Itineraries,” then “Quick Trip.” You’ll find suggestions for lodging in numerous areas including Cotacachi.

Yes, both Land of the Sun and Posada Quinde are nice places to stay. And that is an ambitious itinerary. You’ll have to fly back to Quito from Cuenca to get a flight to Manta.

My husband and I are planning a 2 week trip to Panama, then Ecuador, in May. We want to compare the pluses and minuses of both for a possible much less expensive place to retire than in Fl where we are now living. Our impression, from what we’ve read, is that it will cost considerably more to live in Panama than Ecuador. We have selected some areas to visit, and I’d like some feedback from  those who live there or have visited there recently. We think that in Panama we’d like to look at Coronado, David, and possibly Bouquete. We think Panama City might be too expensive. In Ecuador, we’d like to check out Salinas (we’re staying in a condo on the beach there) , Manta, and maybe one or 2 other coastal communities. Cuenca is too chilly for us! We’re looking for some place that offers the same standard of living as we have now, with lots of cultural and community events…….symphony concerts, art galleries and shows, really good local live theatre, close-by shopping centers, restaurants, and cafes, boating and for my husband, golfing. Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Peggy, you’re not going to find what you’re looking for on the coast of Ecuador. The cultural activities you are listed are in the highlands. Guayaquil has shopping, restaurants, and golf, but it’s a big, busy city.  Keeping it real, Ecuador is not a never will be a cheap America. Goods and services you now take for granted are not available here. I politely suggest lowering your expectations.

LAWRENCE SCHULTZ
    Participant

Peggy,

Having visited Panama City twice and spending three weeks in Salinas, Ecuador I can perhaps give you a little insight into these places and your desires for a place to live.  In Panama City you will find many of the things you ask for.  My memory of costs were that it was reasonable.  We went to a modern shopping mall with a multi-plex cinema with English speaking moves.  The cost for a popcorn and soft drink was $3 total.  If you want beach living and yet be near a major city then Coronado might be nice as it is only about 1 hour from Panama City.  Driving in Panama City is totally nuts.  Salinas, Ecuador has some amenities but not what you are use to.  The coast of Ecuador is not going to be very sophisticated.  It seems like you want the amenities of the U.S. but at a much lower price.  I think you can have one or the other but probably not both.  I think the gist of what all the ex pats are reporting is that life is different in these places, but not necessarily worse.  My impression is that a type A personality is probably not going to be all that happy in these places.  I have loved everyplace I have explored in Latin America.  Been to Nicaragua twice.  Loved it.  Panama twice, loved it.  Ecuador once for three weeks and am dying to go back.  My trip to Ecuador was cut short by an intestinal infection which taught me to be more careful about the type of restaurants I go to but I am dying to see the places I intended to see but had to miss.  Vilcabamba was slow, but great.  I really want to see Cuenca, Cotacacci, Otavalo and explore the coast more.

Edd and Lawrence, I thank both of you for your informative responses. It gives us something to think about before our trip, hopefully it will help us to be more objective.

Great answer, Lawrence, thanks! Peggy, I suggest you not cut Panama City from your list. And I think Coronado may be a perfect match for you. It’s a little over an hour to the city where you will find all the amenities you are looking for. You won’t find these anywhere on the beach in Ecuador.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.