Ecuadorian Food

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Ecuadorian Food

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

We’re landing in Quito July 3rd and would like some gastronomic advice prior to our arrival. What are some notable (subjective, I know) Ecuadorian specialties that we should not miss? We’ll be visiting Quito, Otavalo and Cuenca. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Cuy is the national food of Ecuador. Try it.  We didn’t care for it, but we can say we’ve eaten it !

Thanks, Bobby…or, perhaps we should wait to formally thank you until after we’ve eaten it 🙂

Well, cuy (guinea pig) is about the most exotic thing you might try in the Sierras. It’s okay…but hard work as there is not a lot of meat on those little bones. I’d suggest locro de papas — potato soup… or any locro, in fact. They make wonderful creamed soups in the highlands. And empanadas, bolones, and quimbolitos… I am sure you know what an empanada is, the others are like a cake-like thing but steamed in banana leaves. And do they the aji — the local salsa that you will find on every table. Everyone has their own recipe…

Thanks, Suzan(and Bobby)…I’ll “take one for the team” and try them all!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.