electricity outages

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum electricity outages

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SORREL L.

I have read that there are frequent outages in cr. are gasoline powered generators or liquid propane stand alone automatic on/off generators available?

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

I wouldn’t say there are frequent outages. For the year I lived in Grecia, for example, we only had one power outage. It lasted 30 minutes. Some areas, especially rural areas, can get more outages because the power infrastructure isn’t in as good shape. The Caribbean coast has this issue. But even there, outages are not a daily occurrence or anything and usually it’s up and running within a couple of hours at most

That said, there are gas-powered and liquid propane generators available.

MICHEAL LEVINE
    Participant

I have been spending one week per month, on average, in the Zone Sur (Pacific coast between Uvita and Palmar) for the last year. My experience is that there is a solid power outage lasting from 20 minutes to several hours about once per week.

But even in adverse weather conditions (heavy downpours), ICE is out fixing problems. I have been impressed with their response to reported outages.

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Thanks for the input, Michael. I’ve never lived in the Southern Zone but have visited frequently over the years. I had some flickers (power goes out for 1 min and comes back on) but no real outages when I’ve been there. This is good information to have.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.