Elevation

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Elevation

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Brenda

Susan,
    Well this is my 3rd attempt to ask you a couple of questions and I’m having problems posting. I’m gonna try again one last time. I thought that since you live in Cotacachi you might be able to answer a couple of questions. I’m wondering about the elevation effects on the body. Does it take a while to get use to that? Another question is how do the buses drive? My husband and I visited Costa Rica and after our flight had about an hour and half ride in a cab to the coast and my stomach was a flipping and a flopping by the time we got to our place. They drive crazy there! A bus may be a little different though. We are planning a trip in May and we are using a group that give tours for those who are interested in moving to Ecuador and take you to the places where Expats are so you can talk with them as well as other things on the itinerary. One of the lady’s speaks for IL which made us a little more comfortable using them. We fly into Quito and our first stop after is Cotacachi. Who knows maybe your one of the expats she has lined up for us to talk to. Thanks for your information.
    Brenda

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Brenda, some people have no problem with the elevation and others do. The best advice I can give is to stay hydrated. Don’t drink alcohol on the flight down. Instead, drink plenty of water and continue that practice once you get here. Don’t exert yourself a lot the first couple of days you’re here. Take naps if you’re tired. Just let your body ease into it…

As for the drivers, well, Latin Americans may be known for being laid-back… until, that is, they get behind the wheel of a car. Then all bets are off!

Besides taking a taxi across town, I don’t like taking taxis from town to town. We take the bus between Cotacachi and Otavalo and between Cotacachi and Ibarra. We have a private driver (who has a large, comfortable van) for transfers to the airport.

I’m guessing your tour will be with Sarah Dettman’s Expat Journeys group — you will LOVE it and your will LOVE Sarah. She’s the best.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.