FBI Check/House Insurance Questions

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum FBI Check/House Insurance Questions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    WILLIAM M.

My wife and I are preparing to move to Ecuador in the late Spring and have two questions:
    1) I know a FBI criminal background is recommended. Where does one request such a check? I will have a report from the state police but they couldn’t tell me how to request a check from the FBI.

2) Can one get household insurance in Ecuador? We are bringing a portion of our household goods and are curious about insuring them.
    Thanks in advance

First, it’s important to note that Ecuador has recently made a change to which background reports they want for visas and you are now required to have an apostilled FBI background check as well as the state police background report. The FBI website actually directs you to your state police for finding more information on where to get an FBI report. I would try your state police again or find your nearest FBI office and ask them. You can also use an FBI channeler to help you with the process. A channeler is an independent contractor that can help you get what you need from the FBI.

Homeowner’s insurance is available here in Ecuador. There are a few companies that provide this, one of which is QBE. A friend of mine uses them and has been happy so far.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Try this website to get your FBI report: http://myfbireport.com

You’ll have to take the reports to your Dept. of State to be apostilled.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I have just learned of another way to get your fingerprint report: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks/identity-history-summary-checks

Go to that website and print the FBI fingerprint card. You find it here on the top right hand side.

Does anyone know if a DUI conviction from 30 years ago (which will show up on my fbi background check) will pose a problem for getting a pensioner visa? I did check with a the people at gringo visas, and she said no. But I don’t know if the answer can be trusted. Thanks

Martina, the general understanding is that Ecuador is more concerned with felonies than an old driving infraction. I know of expats here who have had more recent DUIs and didn’t have any trouble. I won’t tell you that you will have no problems because you might have to deal with that one official who is a stickler and will question everything. But I will say that it’s highly unlikely you’ll run into any issues at all.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.