Finding medications

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Finding medications

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Schacht
    Participant

My wife has some medical conditions for which she takes various medications. Some are regular prescriptions here in USA, some are over the counter not requiring doctor’s prescriptions. Is there someplace I can check our list, to see which ones are available in CR? Same questions about “equivalent” medications not sold under our familiar names? And finally, there are some naturopathic supplements we now get from New Zealand…is there any problem importing them to CR (no problem except the usual delays through US Customs here in USA).

Thanks,
    Bruce & Mary in Oregon

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

It shouldn’t be a problem to bring your medications or supplements when you fly in. Just make sure to bring any prescriptions and keep everything in original packaging.

As far as having items sent to you from New Zealand, it should be okay. There are some regulations set down by the Costa Rican government as far as types of supplements, packaging, and listing of ingredients. So I would recommend working with a Costa Rican shipping company. They know the exact regulations and will get your items through customs too.. Some items might even need special permission from the Ministry of Health. One popular service is Jetbox.com. I would contact them to get details related to your specific items.

Costa Rica generally does have most medications you find in the U.S., either the same brand name, another brand name, or the generic equivalent. I would contact the pharmacy at CIMA Hospital. If they have the medication in Costa Rica, it’ll be there or they’ll know about it. Usually there is someone who speaks English who can help. http://www.hospitalcima.com Call the main number on the site and ask to be connected to the “farmacia.”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.