Firearms in Ecuador

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Firearms in Ecuador

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I have several questions regarding firearm ownership in Ecuador.
    1. Can I import firearms that I already own here in the states?
    2. What type of storage is required (safes, etc)?
    3. Do the requirements vary depending on whether you live in Quito (large city) or a more rural city?
    4. If bringing my own firearms is not practical or cost effective, how difficult it is to purchase a firearm in Ecuador?

Just to be accurate, I have AR15’s, semi-auto pistols, shotguns, black powder Kentucky rifles, and crossbow that I hunt with.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

1. No
    2. None that I know of.
    3. NO
    4. You will need to undergo a psychological test and register with the local police authorities.

Susan, judging by the way you answered my questions, can I assume you are against gun ownership? It appears from your answers that a person can own a firearm, they just have to buy it there after having passed the test and and registering process?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Stephen, I am neither for nor against gun ownership, and in Ecuador, especially, my opinions don’t matter. 🙂 But yes, I believe you can buy a gun here and obtain a permit for it.

But you should know that the laws in Latin America about gun ownership are FAR more stringent than they are in the U.S. and if gun ownership is critically important to you, you might want to reconsider a move here. The only country I know of where you can import firearms is Nicaragua… and I think even they are getting stricter. (And don’t just take my word for it… if you’re interested in learning more about Nicaragua laws, let me know and I will put you in touch with someone who can help.)

To dig farther into Ecuador law, though, I’d suggest you drop a note to either attorney Roberto Moreno: roberto@morenodidonato.com or attorney Santiago Andrade: santiago1397@gmail.com. They can give you the full scoop on how to get a gun permit in Ecuador. One final word of caution: if you use a gun for protection and you were to shoot someone on your property, you’d best be darn sure that he is well inside your home and is armed… just the way things are here.

That’s the kind of information I was looking for! Thanks! It is curious that you can buy and own a firearms there, but you can’t import your own (even after taking all tests and being checked out). I do have a concealed carry license here and I’m very trained on when it is legal to use a firearm for protection. Sounds like in Ecuador, there is nothing like a ‘castle doctrine’. And one would have to study up to see if wielding a knife or machete qualified as being ‘armed’. Mainly, though, I want my guns for sporting purposes and recreation when going in the ‘woods’ or ‘hiking’ in the forest. I’ve given up on Constitutional protections anywhere even in US and that is one reason I want to leave. My wife (Ukrainian) sat and compared what we are free to do in the US to what people are free to do in the former soviet country of Ukraine. About the only thing we discovered was that, for the time being, we in US could still easily purchase and own firearms (which is new impossible to do in Ukraine). Uruguay is about the same as Equador correct? I would like to know more about this area of law down in Nicaragua if you could put me in touch with someone. I’ll check with those lawyers also, but do I just pay them for their time using a credit card, or what?

Thanks again, Steve

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Stephen, contact attorney Sergio Corrales in Nicaragua and ask him about firearm importation there. sherwis@memcom

Susan, thank you very much for this contact, but could you please re-verity the email address. I also tried sherwis@mem.com and that bounced back also.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Stephen, try sherwis@me.com.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.