Food items

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Food items

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I was just wondering about the availability in Cuenca of certain food items such as peanut butter, butter, olive oil, chicken broth

LAWRENCE SCHULTZ
    Participant

Danica, this has nothing to do with where to find food but it does have something to do with food.  My wife and I planned to spend five weeks in Salinas, Ecuador.  We rented a fantastically beautiful condo one block off the ocean but had to leave after three weeks because I came down with a terrible intestinal problem which was probably the result of eating at some local oceanside dive.  I wonder about the safety of eating foods at places other than upscale hotel restaurants?

Danica, staples like that are always available. In the case of chicken broth you won’t find cans of Swanson on the shelves.  You buy little boxes with cubes that are put in boiling water to dissolve.

Lawrence, eating in a “dive” is a risky proposition anywhere. I’ve eaten fine dining meals and $2.50 almuerzos in Cuenca and have never gotten sick in 3 years. The key is to pick places that do a lot of business so you’re more assured the food is fresh.

Thanks for the heads up, Lawrence! & thanks Edd for the comment. I’m familiar with the boullion cubes & I’m glad to hear that olive oil is a staple. We’re looking forward to our trip later this year.

I make my own chicken broth — that way I know it has no preservatives, extra sodium, etc. And it’s absolutely fresh!

You’re WAY more industrious than us, Suzan!

I have some simmering on the stove right now. Yum!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.