Furniture Availability – Rent/Buy?

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Furniture Availability – Rent/Buy?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

As my departure for Ecuador looms close some of the practical aspects of the move itself come into focus.
    I will be leaving my furniture behind, but obviously will need some furniture as soon as I move into permanent quarters, unless I get lucky and find furnished accommodations. How prevalent are furnished apartments, how much of a premium does one pay and last, but most important, in what condition could one expect to find the furniture (I can tell stories horror about the furniture in apartments in the US).
    Is it possible to rent the furniture one would need: bed, table, chair(s) lamps etc. or is it necessary to purchase furniture.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bill Cardamon

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Bill, as you might imagine, you’ll find all varieties of rental apartments. Some with furniture and some with none. Those with none will typically not even include a stove or refrigerator… sometime not even a hot water heater. Those with furniture can be sparsely furnished or have absolutely everything you need, and of top quality. I’m not sure how much premium you’ll pay for a well-furnished place… and you don’t say where you’ll be looking… I’ve never seen any furniture rental places in Ecuador, but buying custom-made pieces from local craftsmen can be inexpensive.

Bill, expect to pay $100-150/month more for a furnished place. If you’re moving to any place popular with expats you should be able to find a short-term furnished apartment that will meet your needs.

Suzan and Edd thank you both for the information. I intend to try Cuenca first for several months to get a feel for the climate, then I may move higher or lower.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.