Getting Around CR Without A Car

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Getting Around CR Without A Car

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    KEN JONES
    Participant

In the next year, my wife and I would like to visit CR for an extended stay (3-4 mths) with eye to spend 6 – 7 mths a year there. When staying in Mexico (Merida) we did not have a car. Walked, cabbed, bused everywhere and felt we got around OK. Plus the walking was good for us.

Are there buses to the coast, and surrounding communities, if we stay home based in San Jose?

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Ken,

Costa Rica does have a great bus system for getting around town, around the region, and around the country, including to the coast. Buses are on-time, frequent (especially in the Central Valley), and modern. Many Ticos don’t have cars or just one per household, so a lot of people take the bus. The system works well. Taxis are also plentiful and pretty reasonable in price. Many expats get along fine without a car. That being said, having a car makes things more convenient and you have more flexibility to explore more rural and off the beaten path areas, including in the coastal communities. Something you might consider is renting a car for at least some of the time you are there to make a comparison. You can also walk as much as you want here. In many areas all you need for daily living is within walking distance. Great exercise. I have a friend who lost 40 pounds over six months – just by walking.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.