Getting to the new airport

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Getting to the new airport

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anybody out there know how to get to the new airport, short of taking a taxi?

Recently posted in GringoTree:

As for public transportation, according to a story in the Quito daily newspaper, El Comercio, the company Aeroservicios will provide bus and van transportation between the new airport and the main terminal at the old airport. From the old airport, you’ll have to transfer to a taxi or city bus to get to central Quito.

The Aeroservicios 22-passenger buses will cost $8 each way and leave four times an hour during peak periods, twice an hour the rest of the time. Smaller Aeroservicios vans will also be available and cost $12.

In addition, upwards of 500 taxis will service the new airport. Leaving from the new airport, passengers will pay for their rides at set fares, determined by distance, at ticket counters. Traveling to the airport, the article says something to the effect that the use of meters will be mandatory 24 hours a day, with fares regulated by the Ministry of Transportation.

Five public bus operators will also service the new airport; these buses will travel along a dedicated right-hand lane on a regular schedule; the fare will be 68 cents.

A consortium of Quito hotels is currently negotiating with the authorities for private-transportation services to transfer hotel guests to and from the new airport.

IRVING WOLFE
    Participant

Suzan ,what is the regulated taxi fare from the airport to cotacachi?

Thanks

I don’t know what the regulated fare is. I always have my friend Jose pick me up at the airport. (Or take me there from Cotacachi.) He charges $60 and can be arranged by emailing his English speaking son, Mauricio Bonilla: gbsmaury@hotmail.com.

I suspect a taxi will cost more — and Jose is a safe, careful driver with a nice comfortable SUV.

Does Aerogal Airlines and Lan fly all their local flights out of the new airport also?

Yes, all domestic flights are now arriving and departing the new airport.

IRVING WOLFE
    Participant

Thank you Suzan

I have payed $55.00 for a driver out of Quito  to Cotacachi and I was wondering, since the airport is now closer to Cotacachi , what the rate may now be. I was hoping it would be less, 🙂

The airport is not yet closer to Cotacachi, but it will be when the new road is completed. Yes, I have paid $55, too and as much as $80 when we had tons of luggage and pets and needed a large van.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.