Getting to Vilcabamba

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Getting to Vilcabamba

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    FLOYD SELF

I am planning a scouting trip to Ecuador in September and stay about a month. Vilcabamba is one of the places I’m interested in living.  What is the best way to get to Vilcabamba?  I may visit some cities, towns between Quito and Vilcabamba.  Should I make the trek South by road transportation or are there plane hops from Quito to the other major cities as I travel down to Vilcabamba?  Also, are hotels or or rentals readily available during September or do I need to make reservations in each city ahead of arriving in country?

Looking forward to meeting some of you on my trip.  Any ” boots on the ground” experiences and advise will be appreciated.

Floyd Self,  San Saba, TX

Hi Floyd, take a look here at some sample itineraries: https://internationalliving.com/country_clubs/ecuador/travel-itineraries/

There are some hotel and hostel suggestions in there. (Hostels here are not just for youth and range from shared accommodation to private accommodation with private bath and cable TV).

If you have a lot of time to spend, you will have no problem. But remember that Ecuador has huge mountains and it takes 2-3 times as long to drive anywhere as you might expect for the same distance back home. From Quito or Guayaquil you can fly to most major towns in Ecuador. But Quito and Guayaquil are the hubs — you’ll can’t fly to Vilcabamba from Cuenca, for instance. But overland that rip will take you only about 3.5 to 4 hours.

It might help you to take a look at the Aerogal www.aerogal.com.ec/ and Tame  http://www.tame.com.ec/ websites while planning your trip.

You should not have problem making any reservations unless you plan to arrive during any local festivity of any kind – -and there are many and I certainly don’t know about all of them. if I were you, I’d wait until closer to your travel dates, just so you can remain flexible.

Send on any other questions you may have…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.