Golf Carts in Paradise!

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum Golf Carts in Paradise!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Linda Beach

Hi Ann, it was great meeting up with you at Marbucks last week. I am hoping to make the move to Ambergris Caye by late July/early Aug. I made some good contacts and should have no problem finding a suitable rental.

I am still confused about a couple things. First, do I go with the visa that renews monthly or apply for QRP (I would likely qualify). I don’t really need to import any belongings and want the freedom to travel often and for longer than 2 weeks. I heard that was a consideration for one of the two. I’ve read the section on this topic thoroughly but was hoping for further clarification.

Also, I’ve heard it’s near impossible to purchase a golf cart with permit. I’m talking to another expat who says it’s been a nightmare. Can you please tell me if I will be able to purchase on? Should I import one or will I be faced with the same permitting issue? I do NOT want to rent or pay a taxi every time I need to go somewhere.

Thanks!

Linda,

The easiest thing for you to do is to just renew your visa each month, until you are sure you want to live in Belize longterm. Check the Belize Manual for the details on residency options. You can renew your visa every month for as long as you wish, without becoming a QRP or Resident, for a nominal cost each month. Although it may be easy to obtain your QRP, once you get it you will be required to move $2000 US/month into the country and to spend it here. If you are gone a lot you won’t need that much to live on here.

There is currently a moratorium on getting a golf cart permit on Ambergris Caye. Since you won’t be living on the island full-time, it wouldn’t make sense for you to buy one anyway. It’s hard to say how long the moratorium on golf cart permits will last. There is just too much traffic on the island right now. So that is one of the ways the Town Board deals with it. They probably won’t issue any new permits for a year or more. They will allow people to replace vehicles. But they don’t want any additional vehicles coming onto the island until some older ones are removed. But, in general, it’s hard to get a golf cart permit until you have been living here for a while and are a resident.

You CAN’T import a golf cart if you can’t obtain a permit. So you can look for a longterm golf cart rental, or just rent when you need to. Many new expats get around on a bike and take taxis when needed. Then they rent a golf cart once in a while and hitch rides with friends who have golf carts.

Also, when bringing a golf cart onto the island, you will pay import duties, which are pretty steep, unless you become a QRP and get the QRP exemption. But it doesn’t make sense to become a QRP until you are spending most of your time in Belize. You aren’t required to spend more than a month per year in Belize as a QRP. But you are required to move that $2000 US/month as long as you are a QRP. Every year you will need to show proof that you did this, in order to renew QRP status.

Linda Beach

Thanks Ann! I will be housesitting from Aug. 1st to Sept. 15th for a lady I met at Marbucks Wine Down Thursday when I saw you there. She will be renting her cart to me during my stay. That should give me enough time to find a long-term rental & sort out the golf cart issues. I look forward to hanging out again once I’m officially an expat!! Counting the days & working on selling all my “stuff.”

Linda

Good luck, Linda! Yes, I know the person you are renting from. She is a friend of mine. You lucked out to find a short term deal. That’s why it pays off to go to a variety of social events. That’s where you meet people and hear about deals. You are a great example of that! It’s also great that she’ll rent out her golf cart to you while you are there.

There is now a moratorium on issuing new golf cart permits on the island, as the traffic is out of control and so many visitors have complained about it. The mayor announced it a month or so ago. It sounds like it will be in effect for a year or so, but it’s hard to say.

You are coming at a good time to find a longterm rental, before the high season starts in late November.

Linda Beach

That’s great that she’s a friend! I’ll be seeing you at the expat gatherings & am excited to meet the rest of the “gang!” I’m deep in the process of selling all my “stuff” and am looking forward to my transition to Belize living.
    Thanks for all your wonderful information!!
    Linda

Linda,

Please forward your e-mail so that I can contact you in regards to our discussion on August 9th.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.