Guns in Panama

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Guns in Panama

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

My husband is a collector and has concerns about bringing his collection to Panama. If anyone has information that will help, we would appreciate the information. What are the gun laws, and how does importing them into the country work? What restrictions are there? Are their confiscations when you go through customs?

Thank you.

Hi Lynda- yours is a question that comes up from time to time, and worth asking.

At this time, the government of Panama does not allow guns to be brought into the country. I have been told by an attorney friend that this is the result of concerns over the use of guns and the crime rate in the country, so the government is addressing that by restricting gun imports.

Once you are in the country it is possible to purchase guns, as long as you comply with the local legal requirements.

I hope this is helpful to you. Regards, Linda

Hello Lynda,

Apologies, a correction:

Guns can be imported but I am told by reputable Panama attorney Rainelda Mata-Kelly that this is extremely difficult to do, and most attorneys (many of whom offer assistance with other matters of relocation, such as pet relocation) prefer not to offer this service.

Last I heard these were the requirements, but you would need to verify with a Panama attorney (see the Rolodex on this website for attorney contact info)

PROCEDURES FOR THE IMPORTATION OF GUNS
    AND OBTAINMENT OF GUN PERMIT

Notice: This is not an easy or fast process; you must comply with all requirements
    in order to successfully obtain the permits. You’ll need a Panamanian attorney to assist you. The whole process may well take 6 months to a year and because it is so arduous there are many attorneys that do not offer this service.

• You must surrender your gun to the captain of the airline.
    • You must declare your gun at Customs at the airport where it is kept for registration and pay duties later on, once the importation process is completed.
    • They give you a receipt form.
    • You must then apply for the gun importation permit and for the gun carrying permit (see below).
    • Customs will keep your gun until the gun importation permit and the gun permit have been issued.
    • No more than 3 guns may be imported in a 5-year period.
    • In order to obtain the gun importation license and gun permit valid for up to five years, you will need the following:
    o Psychological test carried out by a Panamanian psychologist.
    o Bill of Sale or other proof of ownership (such as gun license).
    o Copy of your passport.
    o 3 passport size photos
    o Lab test to detect possible drug use
    o Blood sample for the DNA data banks.
    o Residency permit or work permit
    o Immigration status certification
    o Receipt issued by Customs.
    o Application form.
    All guns must be registered under a permit. Maximum amount of guns per permit is nine
    (9). Only one permit is given per person.

Note: Hunting is not allowed in Panama. The fauna is protected here and illegal hunting
    will result in arrest and the imposition of heavy fines.

Also, please note that bringing a gun into Panama without an importation permit is
    considered gun running, with stiff penalties.

Having a gun without a gun permit is also a serious offense.

The above is just given as general information or an indication of the process and its
    requirements, it is not to be considered advice, or carry any representations, warranties or
    be deemed a guarantee, since processes and requirements may change at any time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.