Gym memberships

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum Gym memberships

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    PIERRE BERNIER
    Participant

My wife has been attending group dance classes such as aerobics, step and Zumba for several years. I would like to enquire on her behalf if similar activities are available in San Pedro. Also, could you give us a rough estimate of what a monthly gym membership would cost. Thank you so much for your help.

Pierre,

This is a question I totally relate to, since I was not ready to move to Ambergris Caye until there was a decent, clean athletic facility where I could work out. Swimming and walking the beach are not enough for those of us who have established a lifelong practice of aerobic and other athletic activities. Having been an aerobics dance practitioner for most of my adult life, I ended up teaching salsa Aerobics classes on the island initially.

The Train Station is the best gym in San Pedro and that’s where I’ve belonged now for the last three years. Here is their FAcebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Train-Station-Fitness-Club/92401008943?sk=timeline. I also take yoga classes at Zen Arcade. They also have pilates and dance aerobics classes, and salsa dance classes. Both facilities are in San Pedro Town. There are also two Cross Fit Clubs on the island. So we have many options for a small island. I think that there is also a locals dance aerobics class at the Lions Club, although I don’t know any expats who attend it.

The cost of memberships vary, depending on when you sign up. The off season is the best time to get on board, as some of these businesses offer deals to increase membership in the low season. Almost all clubs allow drop in classes, but the costs are geared towards tourists. So those of us who live here opt for a monthly membership, or a ticket for so many classes per a fixed amount.

I pay $55/month at the Train Station, but the entry cost may be a bit more for someone signing up today.

For Zen Arcade, here is their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/zenarcadebelize/timeline. They have daily yoga classes, as well as Pilates and dance aerobics classes several times a week. They also offer salsa classes, but I think that is only once per week. You can opt for a monthly or pay as you go membership, or a card where you pay x dollars for x classes. The card is good for several months, so that is the more flexible approach that I prefer. The various businesses constantly change their deals, depending on the season and how many people are attending. I’d suggest that your wife contact both the Train Station and Zen Arcade directly to ask about what options they have available.

Also, we do have Cross Fit groups. There are two on the island at this time. I don’t really have an idea of what they cost, but assume they also have a monthly membership plan.

PIERRE BERNIER
    Participant

I couldn’t ask for a more extensive and infomative reply. Thanks!

Pierre,

Glad that the info I provided met you and your wife’s expectations. Some questions are much easier to answer than others. Given that I have been exercise driven, and been a dancer, my entire life this is a topic that is easy for me to answer, especially for Ambergris Caye, where my husband and I live.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.