Having a vehicle in Belize/

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum Having a vehicle in Belize/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    MIKE T.
    Participant

We are visiting Belize for a couple weeks this May. We will be going to Caye Caulker, Corozal, and Placencia. We of course are flying for this visit but if things go well we hope to drive down later for an extended visit. We will be renewing our visa monthly, but are there any issues with keeping our vehicle in the country for an extended period? Thanks.

Here is a link that answers part of your question: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291959-i1455-k6711637-Driving_a_Mexican_rental_car_to_Belize_and_Guatemala-Belize.html. It is focused on bringing a rental car from Mexico into Belize, but summarizes the steps to bringing the car into Belize at Chetumal, which is where I assume you would cross the border. One of the things I’ve heard is that you need to have proof of ownership, the Vehicle Identification Number, and to buy Belize car insurance at the border. This link will give you a good idea of what’s involved.

Diving through Mexico can be quite dicey. So do quite a bit of homework on line before you decide to take that risk. You don’t say how long you will visit. If you stay for six months, it would be worth doing more research. But if you will only stay for two months, it probably won’t be worth the effort and risk to bring your vehicle with you. Unless you have a 4 wheel drive, your car take a real beating on Belize’s roads. The main highways are fairly well maintained. But as soon as you get off onto the side roads you’ll need a 4 wheel drive.

If you were moving to Belize and drove your car into the country, you would pay duty on the value of your vehicle at the border. My concern is that the inspectors at the border may not believe that you are only coming to visit for a few months. So they could try to charge you duty at the border. So when you visit in May, drop in at one of the Belize Tourism Board offices and ask for their advice on this topic. I did an extensive search on the internet, but the posts were all focused on expats who plan to actually move to Belize and bring their car. Possibly you could get a letter from the BTB to give to the border inspectors if you decide to bring your car the next time.

You will not be able to bring your car onto Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye. So if you do bring it, you’ll need to leave it on the mainland while you spend time on the cayes. If you rent a place to stay in the town of Corozal, or Placencia Village, you can get by without a car, as both towns are fairly compact. Of course, it’s beneficial to have a car to explore the country. But it may behoove you to leave your vehicle behind until you decide to move here. You could rent a car for a few weeks when you want to travel around the country, and then get by with taxis and bikes when you settle in to test out specific expat towns. Other than in Placencia, taxes are usually quite reasonable in Belize and the buses are downright cheap.

MIKE T.
    Participant

That is really good info. Looks like I would be better off if I think I need a car, just rent it when actually needed. And worry about whether I want to bring one down after I decide if we are staying permanently.

Glad I could help. There are really a lot of ways to travel in Belize, between the many local flights, taxis, buses, water taxis and car rentals. And driving here in Belize requires getting used to the roads and speed bumps. When you do rent a car, you will get the best deal by renting from a company in or around Belize City and the international airport. They compete for service so offer better prices.

Once you get out to the cayes you may want to rent a golf cart for a day, just to drive around and check out the area. You can rent a golf cart on Ambergris Caye by the hour, 1/2 day, day, week or month.

TAMI LEA S.
    Participant

Hi, my name is Tami and I am planning to drive to Placencia from Canada in June. I am planning on relocating so I want to bring my 4×4 jeep. I called the Belize consulate regarding how much the duty would be but they were not sure of the rates. Do you know how much the vehicle tax is if I am coming in on a tourist visa? I read you can bring a vehicle worth up to $15,000 duty free so I presume a percentage will need to be paid for the value above that. We are carefully researching our route for the safest way through Mexico. Any recommendations of where to stop mid way and particular places to avoid? Last question, is there a brand of vehicle that you don’t recommend for Belize that would be tough to get work done on? I have a Jeep cheroke but am thinking of downgrading if the duty is too high.
    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Tami,

Duty is one of those things in Belize that is hard to predict. There is a duty table on the internet, see below. But what you are charged at the border crossing won’t necessarily match what’s in the table. And you may be hit up for a “donation”… It depends on who is the duty officer that day and what mood they are in… It really is inconsistent. But there is a duty page for Belize, with a list that you can download and review. Here is the link: http://www.belize.org/tiz/customs-and-duties.

I live on Ambergris Caye and own a golf cart, so car repairs are not my forte. But when on the mainland I see Toyotas, Fords, and Hyundas. There is another odd brand I am not familiar with. Check out the Belize car rental companies to get a better idea of what brand of vehicles they rent in Belize. Many car companies, like Toyota, produce a less complex version of models for the Central American and Mexican markets. There are now some repairmen who can work on computerized cars, but there are many more who can’t. The more simple you keep your vehicle, the easier it will be to maintain. But you will want to have AC, for sure. So stick with a simple, sturdy 4-wheel drive with AC.

If you have become a QRP before moving here you can bring a vehicle into the country duty free. So if you plan to become a QRP, it’s best to bring your car once you have the approval to do so from the QRP program. If you are coming as a tourist I assume you will pay full duty. But there are a lot of threads on this topic on the Ambergris Caye Forum. And you can try the Belize Forum. Since you are moving here it would be good to sign up for both of those forums. There are very detailed lifestyle questions on the forums. You will have to sift through some of the negative e-mails that are posted by the forum trolls who don’t live in Belize anymore. But you can ask very detailed questions that are regional in nature and will get a variety of responses.

I just found a link to a forum that has quite a bit of info about the requirements for what type of vehicle you can bring into Belize, and what the duty will be. Here it is: http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=228783.

BETH B T.

I apologize if I am not doing this Forum correctly. I have never used a Forum or Blog or anything so please forgive me. My husband & I are moving to Belize within a year. We did not rent first so I made a huge mistake but must move forward and not be discouraged. We would like to purchase a vehicle 4-wheel drive or truck in Belize. We have been advised that this would make repairs and getting gas easier. Does anyone know where I would go to purchase a vehicle? Also how would I find out what is a fair price so I don’t get taken advantage of. Thanks for any help.

It would be best to start a new topic because your question is quite different than the one on this thread. I can easily miss it when a new question is posted at the end of a long thread where I already answered the primary question.

I don’t own a car, since we live on Ambergris Caye. We have a golf cart. But I have a number of friends who have bought vehicles in Belize. Some have bought used 4-wheel drives for under $5000. The cars sold in Belize don’t have all the bells and whistles you see on American made computerized cars. It is important to buy from a reputable dealer recommended by other expats. I think most of them are around Belize City. You are correct to pick a 4-wheel drive as the roads can get really bumpy when you get off the main drag.

Since you will move here, make a point of joining the Belize Forum and the Ambergris Caye forum. The Ambergris Caye Forum has sections for other areas of the country, and for general lifestyle questions. Both have many posts about topics like this from people who have moved here and solved a problem, including the one you have asked about buying a car in Belize. I know this is new to you. But when you live in a place like Belize it is important to learn how to use the forums and Facebook. That is how many people share info that benefits all expats who live in the country. You will also find some negative forum “trolls”. Don’t get bogged down with those. Ask a friend to show you how to join a Forum, if you haven’t done this before. Here are the links:

http://www.belizeforum.com
    http://ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/.

You will need to join, which means you’ll need to set a password for these accounts.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.