Health care

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Health care

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hi

what would you recommend for health care to cover both in Costa Rica band and US?  Is it real expenses?

Healthcare is a very personal choice. But I can lay out some info on all the options. As a legal resident you would be eligible to join the universal healthcare system, the Caja, for a monthly fee based on income – $50 to $100 per person are the amounts I’ve heard from expats lately. Of course, that only covers you in Costa Rica.

You can supplement that with a U.S. insurance, much of which is also accepted at CR private hospitals and clinics – check with your provider and the insurance company to be sure. There is also INS, which is Costa Rica’s private insurance option. You can get a policy that covers you in CR and anywhere in the world. Premiums are based on age and health, but are usually around $1,200 for folks at retiree age. Unfortunately, pre-existing conditions will disqualify applicants.

JUDI MARTIN

Jason,  my husband and I are thinking of moving to CR in 2014.  We would like to live there for approximately 1 year in hopes of not paying the high price of insurance here in America until we reach the age of 65.  Would the universalt healthercare system be adequate coverage for us, or would we need to pay an additional $1,200 (per person?), or would this cost be less if we were under 65 years old?  Basically we would like some more info on health care etc in CR, thanks J&G

Hi Judi,

The universal healthcare should be fine. But keep in mind you would need to be legal residents to be eligible to join. The application process can take several months sometimes longer if there are issues that come up. So if you’re planning to come in 2014, I would start the process now. Your local Costa Rican consulate has all the details on required documents and procedures. It might also be useful to hire a Costa Rican lawyer to guide you.

Roger Petersen speaks at many IL conferences. You can find information on his law firm here: http://www.plawcr.com

Is Medicare accepted in CR?

Linda RoseKain

Hi Linda,

Medicare only works within the United States.

But there is very low cost healthcare in Costa Rica. When you become a legal resident, you join the universal healthcare system, known as Caja. There is a network of public clinics, pharmacies, and hospitals throughout the country. You pay a monthly fee based on income, usually between $50 to $150 per couple. After that all your care, prescriptions, doctor visits, testing, etc. is free.

There are also private doctors, clinics, and hospitals. You can pay cash or use insurance. Many U.S. insurance companies are accepted, although you should always check your policy and with your provider.

Hi Jason,

I see that in your response above to LYNN BOURBEAU you state that you can obtain private INS usually around $1,200 for folks at retiree age. I don’t suppose that’s an annual premium? Is it a monthly premium and is it for one person or a couple? Who would we contact to find out more about this INS?

Linda RoseKain

Hi Linda,

I should have been more specific. The $1,200 premium is annual and per person.

The Association of Residents of Costa Rica (http://www.arcr.net) offers discounts on INS insurance and can put you in touch with a broker.

Jason,

What can you tell us about Assisted Living Facilities, or hired in-home care, in Costa Rica. Do they exist, and how are prices compared with the US?

Warren Feller

Hi Warren,

Assisted living facilities are less common than in the U.S. Many of the older generation live with family.

But there are some. Here are a few I’ve found online. I’ve never visited them personally or spoke with any residents there.

http://www.hogarderetirocr.com/assisted-living-costa-rica/continuing-care-retirement-community/retirement-home

http://costarica.com/relocation/assisted-living-communities/

The prices are listed on the site.

In home care is also available. The price depends on the provider and the level of care needed. But I know one couple paying less than $2,000 a month a 24 hour live in nurse.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.