Health Care and Insurance for over 70 year old

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Health Care and Insurance for over 70 year old

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ROBERT MASTERSON
    Participant

Jason, we are considering living full time or part time in CR. I am 70 and my wife is 63. I think I read that one cannot get regular health care in CR if one is 70 or older. Is that correct? If so, what are the options for health care and insurance – would it be best to get international insurance and if so, what is the best ones accepted in CR? OR is there domestic insurance and how well is it accepted? Any idea of costs? If this information is already handy, I apologize for asking. Maybe you could give me a good reference. Thanks, Bob.

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Bob,

Costa Rica has two health care systems operating side by side: the public/government-run universal health care for citizens and legal residents called Caja… and the private system.

With Caja there are no age or pre-existing condition exclusions. You’d be able to join once you became a resident no problem. With Caja, you get complete health care (prescriptions, doc visits, surgery… everything) once you pay your monthly fee (7-11% of your income).

In the private system you’d either pay cash (the costs are quite low compared to the U.S.) or use insurance, either from a Costa Rican company like INS or international insurance. I know that INS severely restricts patients at age 70 or above. But I would urge you to check out international insurance options, although I know that the older you are the more difficult it is to get a policy.

Many expats mix and match private and public care.

You can find a lot of info on health care here: https://internationalliving.com/country_clubs/costa-rica/healthcare/

And be sure to let me know if you have any further questions.

ROBERT MASTERSON
    Participant

Jason, Thanks. I am sure that I will have additional questions. Bob

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.