Health Insurance in Costa Rica

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Health Insurance in Costa Rica

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jasen,
    I been doing a lot of reading from the various information I have ordered from IL as well as source IL references. I looks to me that the Health Insurance offered in Costa Rica is either public low cost insurance, but you may need to wait a while for services when needed or Private Insurance. It also appears that the Private has a exemption to any pre-existing conditions, and it sound like that is for ever, not just the first year. Is this correct?

How do I find out what the cost of the Private insurance would be for a couple 65 and 69?

We currently have insurance in the states which only covers services here, but we have a travel policy we buy annually that provides any needed medical services while overseas and emergency transportation back, up to $50,000. per occurrence. We know is works as we had an emergency two years a go and it paid everything back to us that we spent. The problem with it is now they have a limit of 90 days out of the country, so we have to return home every 90 days. Initially that would be OK because Costa Rica is going to kick us ut every 90 days, regardless until we obtain temporary residency.

Our Question and concern is; Can you buy insurance in Costa Rica before you obtain the temporary residency card and does it realy take 6 to 8 months to have it issued when using a local attorney?

Thanks,

Bill Mills

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Bill,

You’re right about the pre-existing conditions exclusion with INS, which is the private insurer in Costa Rica.

Keep in mind you can also pay cash in the private medical system. Costs are much much lower than the U.S. So many expats use a mix of the public and private systems. For example, they might see a private doctor and if he recommends a procedure, they get it done in the public system, where it’s free. Non-emergency procedures are subject to wait times. But if you have a serious case, they get it done more quickly.

Another insurance option is an international policy that covers you in the U.S. and Costa Rica – and most other countries. While you do need residency to buy Costa Rican insurance, INS, there’s no need to be a resident to have an international policy.

Medical evacuation policies are also good to have – they’ll fly you back to a hospital in the U.S. if needed. And they’re usually not that expensive. I have seen evac coverage available for up to a year at a time with no need to travel back home every 90 days. It’s not really intended for travelers – more for long-term expats.

Residency does take about 6 -8 months to secure – though sometimes it’s quicker, sometimes slower. It’s really case by case. It does help to have an attorney oversee your case.

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

For more info on insurance and evacuation, contact the companies in the Rolodex: https://internationalliving.com/country_clubs/costa-rica/rolodex/

And as far as finding out premiums for you and your wife with INS, you have to contact an INS broker. If you want to do that from the U.S. your best bet is to go through the Association of Residents of Costa Rica, who work with an insurance agency.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.