Hi, I want to retire in Beleiz and I am Canadian.

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum Hi, I want to retire in Beleiz and I am Canadian.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bryson-weaver25762
    Participant

Hi Ann,

I am Canadian and have traveled to Belize several times. I have traveled a lot and all over the world. For several reasons, I fell in love with Belize! I have been paying for a waterfront property in Orchid Bay. One acre on the bay and eventually I want to build on my property and add a small rental on it as well. I am looking for support to make the transition easier. Thank you for building this site. I love it and am grateful to be part of it!

My question today is I need to find a tax and financial planning practice that can work with Canadians and understands Canadian tax laws to help me make sound financial decisions for my retirement.

Also: I have recently retired from a 30-year career in the dental field and decided to finally write my first book which launched in October 2014 made #1 International Best Seller in November 2014. I have a son who graduates next year from high school and has autism, my book is “Living autism day by day”. I am looking for a community of friends for my son and myself. Perhaps fellow writers and adventure seekers to participate in community projects such as medical/dental missions and projects that help empower women and special needs children. I have traveled several times to different parts of the world participating in these types of projects and I am very involved in my community in Canada as well, so I plan to do the same in Belize. My son loves to bake with me so I am thinking of building a little organic bakery and cafe in Belize and perhaps hosting book clubs and special guests which I think might be a fun project for my son and I to do together while living in Belize. (I hope it was ok to share this on your form.) 🙂

Bryson,

I would suggest that you post this same Canadian income tax question on the general International Living Community Forum, to benefit all International Living members. It has not been asked as of yet but applies to all Canadian expats. I did find this group and a response that may assist you: http://thecanadianexpat.com/index.php/members-only/resources/articles/taxes-a-finances/125-tax-implications-of-moving-to-the-middle-east. Although the question relates to moving to the Middle East, the general approach should be similar for you moving to Belize.

I am not aware of such an expert who resides in Belize. But your income taxes due to Canada should be the same no matter which country you reside in overseas. But I will ask my Canadian acquaintance if they know of such an expert here in Belize. Just this week I became aware of a US income tax lawyer who recently moved to Belize. But until he moved here, our only option was to work with a company in the USA. There are a lot of Canadians living in Corozal, especially in Consejo Shores. So assuming you move to Orchid Bay and spend quite a bit of time in town, you will cross paths with people who will be able to give you quite a bit of advice in regards to living in Belize as Canadian expats. If I learn of a Canadian income tax planning expert who lives in Belize, I will reply to this post again.

Belize will be very happy to have a dedicated volunteer such as yourself. You will find many people willing to join your cause here, especially when it relates to children. There are many volunteer groups in Belize and Corozal is an active community.

When you move to Corozal you’ll find reasonable rentals right in town. There is no organic bakery/café in Corozal as of yet, so it’s a good spot to consider such a business, assuming you move there before another expat opens one. There isn’t a lot to do in Corozal, so the expat community is quite active. And I know there is a Women’s Forum that discusses books, and has guest speakers. There is also a Rotary Club with Canadian, American and Belizean members. So if you are a Rotarian, you could join that group.

Belize does not have a lot of “resources” for special problem children such as those who are autistic. Since you are well versed in autism and have an autistic child, try contacting the Belize Health Ministry to learn what programs are in place, if any, at: http://health.gov.bz/www/. You could consider offering to do volunteer work with the Ministry, to give workshops for families with autistic children. Here is a link to a Facebook page managed by Yadira Williams, to provide support to families with autistic children in Belize:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Autism-in-Belize/253628164666457?sk=info&tab=page_info. She’s written several articles you can find via Google. It seems that she started an awareness group in Belize a few years ago. But I could not find any info on line about special programs for autistic children in Belize.

Bryson,

I checked with my US income tax advisor, and he has not heard of any Canadian income tax advisers who work with Canadian expats in Belize. So it’s a fair assumption that there is no such expert living here at this time.

Another long-term expat friend told me that if you live in Belize fulltime you will not have to pay taxes in Canada, but if you live here only part-time you will. This American’s wife is Canadian and lives in Belize fulltime, so pays no taxes in Canada. But he said that Canada is very strict in their definition about what is “fulltime expat residency”. Most Canadian expats choose to live in Belize part-time so that they won’t lose their health benefits.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.