High Altitude and breathing problems?

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum High Altitude and breathing problems?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    PARVATI DOMBKOWSKI
    Participant

Question for those of you living in Cuenca, Quito and the towns from 5000 – 8000 ft above sea level….Do you experience any problems getting enough oxygen or breathlessness at those altitudes? I live in Calgary AB which is about 4000 ft and find that it is more difficult going up hills and exercising than at sea level.
    Thanks.
    Parvati Dombkowski

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I don’t have a problem but I’d be interested to see how others respond. The elevation does affect some people, especially upon arrival in Quito for the first time. The best thing to do is stay well hydrated and avoid strenuous activity for the first few days.

My doctor told me to walk about half as far as I usually walk and gradually increase the distance over the next few weeks until I feel comfortable at 8,000 feet above sea level. Hope to be trying it in 2014.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

And I do know that some people with asthma or other breathing issues may experience problems — if you have issues like that, it’s best to discuss with your doctor before coming to Ecuador.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

And I do know that some people with asthma or other breathing issues may experience problems — if you have issues like that, it’s best to discuss with your doctor before coming to Ecuador.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.