home base

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum home base

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    GARY MARTIN

my wife and i are planning to visit equator in early 2014 to see what all hoopla is about

we are planning to stay a minimum of 6 weeks to explore the coastline

do you have any suggestions for a home base

Since the coastline is over 1200 miles long, I’d suggest breaking it up into segments. In the south you could stay in Salinas; middle, somewhere in or around Manta; for the north coast, Pedernales.

I don’t think you will like Pedernales. I’d suggest Salinas and either Manta or Bahia de Caraquez and then maybe a trip to Atacames/Tonsupa.

GRETCHEN SOLDAT
    Participant

Suzan,

Curious, why not Pedernales? I read all I could on this site about the North Coast beach towns but there was only a passing reference to it. Canoa sounded like my kind of place according to the I.L. info…laid-back surfer type town, except apparently when competitions are going on. I currently live in a very remote tiny town 40 min. from any services so don’t need big-city stuff…though walking to farmers markets, cafe’s etc, does appeal. Any opinion on Canoa? Cost, of course, is a big factor….thanks!

Canoa is nice — surfer town with a wide beach. Pedernales is concrete buildings, dirty streets, but not much beach activity. Nothing remarkable at all.

GARY MARTIN

should one try to book accommodations in advance  ? if so are there any suggestions i can research especially in the north ,it sounds like that area is what  we are looking for ( green & sand )

Gary, how far north? If you can be more specific, I can be more helpful. And you’ve looked at the itineraries write-up in the travel section, right? There are some accommodation suggestions there. Also, I use TripAdvisor when I travel — usually works well for suggestions.

Suzan

GARY MARTIN

for sure as far as esmeraldas maybe further depending on the road conditions

muchas gracias

GARY MARTIN

Hola Susan are you familiar to Punta Leona in Costa Rica ?

Hi Gary, I am not familiar with Punta Leona, although I have drive through that area, am familiar with Jaco area and I have stayed at the Marriott near there.

You may want to give the city of Esmeraldas a miss — but I assume, instead, you are referring to the province of Esmeraldas. There, you should probably concentrate your search on the towns of Atacames and Tonsupa. The former has more hotels and entertainment-type venues and the latter has more condos and apartment living.

There is also another little hippie/surfer town that might be worth a look. It’s Mompiche, and it’s the third stop on the Montanita/Canoa surfer circuit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.