Hotels

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    GRAINNE FOLEY
    Participant

Jason

As mentioned previously we are heading to CR next week, our plan is to stay in Tamarindo but we are flying into SJ and so we need to stay close to the airport for the first night before we head to Tamarindo.

Can you recommend a good, cheap but nice hotel near the airport?

Also where would you catch the bus to Tamarindo, would that be at the airport?

Thanks

Grainne

MICHEAL LEVINE
    Participant

I recently stayed in Adventure Inn. It is a few minutes from the airport, and offers free transport to and from the airport. It is clean and comfortable, breakfast is included, there is an on-site restaurant for dinner, and they give a 10% discount for payment in cash. I will be going back on my next visit.

Holiday Inn Express is also nice. It is a bit more luxurious and more commercial than the Adventure Inn.

Another choice is BrillaSol, in Alajuela. Free transport to and from the airport (10 min ride), very low prices, comfortable rooms, simple restaurant serves dinner, but once there you are more or less stuck. The heavy metal gates suggest that it is not a good idea to go for a walk. If you don’t mind that it is priced very attractively, and breakfast is included. Good place to crash on arrival or before departure.

Hope this is helpful.

Micheal

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Of those three, I’ve only stated at the Holiday Inn Express. It’s right across the street from the airport basically. So very convenient for flying and then heading out to Tamarindo if you’re renting a car.

If you’re taking the bus, you’ll want to likely be in downtown San Jose, which is near the bus terminal to Tamarindo. No bus from the airport to Tamarindo unfortunately. The company is called Empresa Alfaro, by the way. There is no one central bus station in San Jose. Instead each route / company has its own terminal for its buses. But they all are located in the same area. This area, known as Coca-Cola, isn’t in the best neighborhood. Not that it’s dangerous necessarily. Just the type of place that you have to keep an eye on your bags at all times.

I would suggest staying at the Tryp Wyndham on Paseo Colon. You get there by taking a taxi from the airport. About $25. This is in a nice area of San Jose, near the park and the pedestrian shopping avenue called Avenida Central. Rates are pretty good. Last time my room with two double beds was $80. Then you can take a taxi to the bus station quite easily. It’s a short drive. But keep in mind that there are only two buses a day (1130 am and 330 pm) to Tamarindo so they fill up. Tickets are $9 each. But you can’t buy tickets online or over the phone. So either the day before or morning of your trip to Tamarindo, you have to go to the bus station and buy your tickets in cash to make sure you get all the seats you need.

GRAINNE FOLEY
    Participant

Is there an alternative to using the terminal, could we have someone pick us up at the airport and drive us to Tamarindo, I know it would be more expensive but I don’t think I would be too happy hanging out with my kids in a dangerous neighborhood!

I know a lot of places seem to offer a discount with cash, is it easier to use cash or are all cc accepted everywhere?

Thanks

Grainne

GRAINNE FOLEY
    Participant

Thanks Michael, I have us booked at the Adventure Inn on the way back

Grainne

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Grainne,

There are some good alternatives to taking the bus. I’ve used two private shuttle services several times. AC, very comfortable. They’ll pick you up at the airport and take you directly to your hotel in Tamarindo and then back again at the end of your trip to your hotel in San Jose. You can make reservations from the U.S. by phone or email.

Grayline : http://www.graylinecostarica.com

InterBus : interbusonline.com

Credit and debit cards are widely used in restaurants, shops, etc. ATMs everywhere. The only place you would need cash would be smaller restaurants and taxis. Don’t worry about changing money at the airport. Just get some local currency at an ATM. Dollars are also widely accepted so don’t worry about getting too much local currency.

GRAINNE FOLEY
    Participant

Thanks Jason

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.