Humidity, insects, 2nd hand stores

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Humidity, insects, 2nd hand stores

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

We’re planning a scouting trip in Nov. The areas at this point that interest us are Atenas, Colon, Grecia and Arenal and Santa Rosa. A few of our top wants/needs would be low humidity, availability of good farmers markets, safety & rental prices. I have found temps are lower in Atenas, Colon & Grecia but have not been able to find anything on humidity in any of these areas.  What is your opinion of each area?

And I’d also like to know about insects, any biting ones to beware of, any that are just a nuisance, any harmful to small dogs? Of the areas listed above is there one that would have more snakes than another. Do snakes get into homes, apartments?

Are there such stores as second hand stores to purchase furniture?

Thank you so very much for your valuable help!

Linda RoseKain

Hi Linda,

All the communities you mentioned are very nice. I would suggest adding one of the coastal regions to your itinerary so you can check out the beach as well. You may not want to live there but it’s nice to know what it’s like in those areas. From Arenal you could reach the northern Pacific coast within two hours. I’d check out Playas del Coco, Flamingo, and/or Tamarindo and the surrounding area. From the Central Valley towns like Atenas and Grecia, you can get to the Central Pacific beaches like Jaco, Herradura, and Hermosa in about an hour, hour and a half. Just an idea.

As far as your requirements, all the areas you mentioned meet your need for low humidity, awesome famers’ markets, safety and cheap rentals. The Central Valley has a very temperate climate, hardly any humidity. Of the places you picked Atenas is very much a small town with a large and active expat population. Grecia is a larger town with lots of amenities. And Arenal is more of a rural community, much smaller population. But still an active expat population.

In Atenas be sure to stop by Kay’s Gringo Postres by the Red Cross building. It’s an expat gathering place. In Arenal go to Gingerbread restaurant for dinner on the weekend. Grecia’s gathering spot is Café Delicias on Saturday morning and the farmers’ market on Friday night, Saturday morning.

I have visited Colon or Santa Rose, so I can’t speak to those places in detail other than to say I’ve heard good things.

This is the tropics so there can be creepy crawlies. Most are just a nuisance. But some have painful bites and stings. You kind of just learn what’s what and avoid them. There are also venomous snakes to watch out for. I haven’t had any snakes come in my house and haven’t heard of it happening to other folks but I’m sure it’s possible.

I wouldn’t say any of the areas are more prone to bugs and snakes than others. It’s really your specific location. If you live in the forest or jungle, you’ll get more wildlife and insects.

There are second-hand stores. But new furniture, hand-made and high-quality, can also be found for much lower prices than the U.S. The Central Valley town of Sarchi is the best place to find dining tables, bed framers, dressers, desks, kitchen cabinets, etc. Sarchi is about 15 minutes from Grecia. Check it out when you’re here in November.

Jason,

Thank you so much for your quick response. I am thrilled to hear of the low humidity, this is a rather big issue for us. Now I’m even more excited about the possibility of retiring in Costa Rica. We will check out both coasts. We have traveled much throughout the Caribbean and several cities on the west coast of Mexico and we absolutely love the ocean.  At this point we’re looking for lower temps, but who knows, we may get their and decide on one of the coasts after all.

Linda RoseKain

NANCY SCHAFF

I’m also really interested in humidity levels. We are thinking we’ll probably settle in the Central Valley. I think the heat on the coast would be too much for us and I don’t want the high electric bills from running AC. I am interested in Atenas in particular, maybe Grecia or San Ramon areas. I really like sun. I don’t mind rain, but I don’t want to be living in the clouds and get a lot of mist or have high humidity. I’m thinking around 3000 feet might be good? We found it delightful when we stayed in Vista Atenas (B&B) in February 2012. Nice and cool in the evening. Not sure what the elevation is at the top of that hill. When we visited someone in the barrio close to Atenas but down lower it seemed much hotter. It seems like people who are living up high (4000 ft and above) in San Ramon area must have less sun and more mist? It would be great to hear from more people who live there besides just Jason. This forum seems to be directed at people who want to move there, but it sure would be nice to get multiple perspectives from people in different areas.
    Thanks! Can’t wait to retire in late 2014!
    Nancy S

Hi Jason,

Please tell us about humidity and temps in the San Ramon area! Is that around 4,000 ft?

Warren

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Warren,

Humidity is low in San Ramon and it has year-round temps averaging around 75. It can get into the 80s and dip into the 60s.

As far as elevation it really depends on what part of San Ramon you’re in. As with much of the Central Valley – and much of Costa Rica, it’s a mountainous area. Some spots are closer to 3,000 feet, others at 4,000 feet. At 4,000 feet you get cooler temps, especially at night and early morning.

Jason

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.