hurricanes

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum hurricanes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ronald Wallie
    Participant

I have read there have been some bad hurricanes in the past. How much of a problem is this? It does not appear this has ever been a concern on this forum.

Ron,

We do have hurricanes, although infrequently, so must be ready for them. But we get about 1/10th as many as Florida. Belize is tucked in a corner, off the normal Caribbean hurricane track. The hurricanes that hit here usually are narrowly focused, so more regional in impact. But we have had a bad one since investing here, Keith. I think that was in 2001. But they are infrequent. It is important to build for hurricanes. We live in a concrete home and have hurricane shutters that we put up whenever we leave during hurricane season. And if there was a hurricane we’d put them up.

My husband was here and stayed in the home we were building during Hurricane Keith, a category 4 hurricane that lingered over Ambergris Caye one October. Our concrete home did very well and some of the neighbors hunkered down in the building with us. We don’t get extreme storm surge on the island since we are close to the reef and it protects us. The insurance paid for our damages without any issues.

We haven’t had another serious hurricane on the island since then. But there have been other hurricanes to hit Belize, focused on other areas of the country.

Ronald Wallie
    Participant

Thank you, Ann. Sounds exciting if you are prepared, and it sounds like you are prepared.

Ron,

Actually, every year, before hurricane season our local emergency agency, NEMO, is interviewed on TV, reminding people how to prepare. They also put out bulletins on line and in the local media as to how to prepare for the season. We are now out of hurricane season for until summer 2016 and we didn’t even have a tropical storm this year. But when you live in an area known to have hurricanes at times, you become more attuned to what you need on hand if one occurs. And, yes, we do plan for it. I’ve not yet been through one, though, since moving here.

Ron,

Actually, every year, before hurricane season our local emergency agency, NEMO, is interviewed on TV, reminding people how to prepare. They also put out bulletins on line and in the local media as to how to prepare for the season. We are now out of hurricane season for until summer 2016 and we didn’t even have a tropical storm this year. But when you live in an area known to have hurricanes at times, you become more attuned to what you need on hand if one occurs. And, yes, we do plan for it. I’ve not yet been through one, though, since moving here.

DAVID L.
    Participant

Three thoughts about the hurricane question:
    1) As Ann points out, concrete homes are a good idea for several reasons including resistance to hurricanes. Doors, windows, backup generator are also important. But, a concrete home is a good start.
    2) Certainly where you live is also important. Think about exposure to storm surge. This is more critical for ocean-facing coastlines, as well as, the islands (cayes). There are land-protected bays (Corozal Bay, for example) that help protect from the full fury of a hurricane.
    3) Plan your exit strategy. Are the roads sufficient to get you inland or do you need to take a boat to get off an island or is the coastline so remote that road travel is difficult in an emergency situation?
    We have lived on the east coast of the US including Florida. Paying attention to what’s going on is always a good idea. As Ann points out, hurricanes don’t seem to favor Belize – and, that’s a good thing.
    David

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.