idp dave thompson

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum idp dave thompson

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Thompson
    Participant

HI as i mention before we are coming to Ecuador late December into January. We were not going to rent a car until we get to Manta for four days. I just seen a article on needing a international driving permit to rent a car. I have already booked the car.Nothing was said at booking about idp. Do really need a idp? It was just to sight see the coast or should we just use a taxi?

Hi David – When I first visited Ecuador, I rented a car and brought an IDP with me. They never asked to see it. As long as you have a valid US drivers license, insurance, and you are here on a tourist visa (your passport), you should have no trouble. That said, it wouldn’t hurt to contact your rental agent in advance to double-check – remember, some agencies will offer a discount for IDP.

One other thing you should know, is that when you rent in Ecuador it is common for the agency to put a hold of $5,000 on your credit card until you return the vehicle. I have rented from the Avis counter at the Manta airport, and they did this as well.

Rita and I have explored the coast using regional buses, taxis, private drivers, and rental cars. We preferred using a rental car, just because of our style of travel – we like to stop anywhere something looks interesting, and may change our plans once we are underway.

Enjoy, and let us know if you have any other coastal questions. We’ve lived in Salinas almost three years, and have explored from Playas to Canoa rather extensively.

-jim

David Thompson
    Participant

Hi Jim Thank you for the reply.We will be in Puerto Lopez from Jan 1 to Jan 5 if you have any time to meet would like to talk about living along the coast

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

It’s my understanding that you can rent with your Stateside drivers license unless you are a resident for a certain period of time — and then they want a local drivers license or an international license. They asked for my local license last time I went to rent a car, and I hemmed and hawed and they let it slide. Things are pretty lax in Ecuador this way — you’ll not have any problems.

David Thompson
    Participant

Thank you Suzan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.