Innoculations

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum Innoculations

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MIKE T.
    Participant

Was reading the U.S. travel web site and they recommended getting a hepatitis A and typhoid shot before going to Belize. Does anyone do that?

Personally, I have never taken any type of special shots before visiting or moving to Belize. I don’t know of other expats who have, but we live on Ambergris Caye, which is an island that is pretty developed. It depends on where you plan to travel. If you will be going into very remote jungle areas, backpacking on eco-tours, then it makes sense to take more precautions.

My main concern if I was going to camp in a remote jungle area would be mosquitoes that carry malaria or Dengue fever, since the government doesn’t spray to control mosquitoes in the less populated areas. They regularly spray here on the island to keep the mosquito population down.

I have not heard of any expats getting hepatitis A, malaria or typhoid. But I have known several who did get Dengue Fever, from mosquito bites.

In terms of typhoid, you can buy bottled water easily.

TAMI LEA S.
    Participant

Hi Ann, Can you take pills or get a shot for Dengue Fever? Glad to read the comments about Malaria. When we went in January we got typhoid shots and took malaria pills based on Alberta Health Care recommendations but as we are planning on moving to Placencia I don’t really want to take malaria pills again.
    Thanks
    Tami

Tami,

No, there are no shots you can take to avoid Dengue at this time, unfortunately. But if you read up on it you will feel more comfortable. I don’t think there have been any cases of Dengue on the Placencia Peninsula. We have had some on Ambergris Caye. The Dengue carrying mosquitoes actually are out during the day. But when there are dengue cases the government does their best to do major spraying to kill off the carrier mosquitoes so that they won’t multiply and spread. But your best defense is to wear mosquito repellant during the wet periods, when we have more mosquitoes.

The reason we have Dengue in Belize now is that many immigrants come and go from other Central American countries to Belize. The Dengue is coming from those people who traveled to countries where Dengue is more prevalent and less controlled than in Belize.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.