International Health Insurance

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum International Health Insurance

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

My wife and I are considering living 7 or 8 months of the year in Ecuador and 3 to 4 months in Michigan. Does anyone know of someone else who does this and how they work out their health insurance? Is there an international insurance that covers both countries and, if so, what is the approximate cost? Or is there a way to only have Ecuadorean insurance for the months living in Ecuador and only US insurance for the months living in the US? – And would this be more economical?

Hi Jim and Maria, my husband and I have BUPA International insurance. It is not inexpensive but it covers us anywhere in the world we travel. Our agent works out of Panama City, Panama and he is happy to answer questions about it. Contact Gonzalo de la Guardia: gdelaguardia@gmail.com.

You could also, do as you suggest, and have coverage in both places. You will need a resident visa in Ecuador in order to obtain coverage. And yes, this may be more economical for you. If you already have insurance in the States, speak with your company about whether or not it will cover you abroad.

Another option is to check with one of the major local hospitals in Quito or Cuenca and purchase a hospital discount policy through them. I am unsure if you need residency for this — may be a good option for you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.