Internet access

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Internet access

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DEBRA PORTER

We are looking to move to Ecuador in the next year. Our plan is to move to the Vilacabamba area. I have heard that high speed internet can be spotty in Ecuador especially in this area.

Since I make my living online reliable internet is a must.

Any thoughts on this from anyone?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Yes, Vilcabamba is one place where you may have issues. Email our correspondent there and ask him about it. John Curran: la.hamaca@me.com.

FRANK AGIATO

Is there any possibility of getting satelite internet service? There is at least one satelite internet company in the U.S. that specifically caters to poor reception areas.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I know some expats are investigating Hughes Net But I don’t know any who are actually using it.

FRANK AGIATO

Susan, here is some of that info on Hughes. It appears that there is no shortage of Hughes Network Co. affiliates that are offering both internet and TV service in rural areas of Ecuador as well as in cities.
    Hughes Technology Selected by Telconet in Ecuador for Mintel …
    http://www.hughes.com/resources/hughes-technology-selected-by-…
    Jun 26, 2012 … Telconet, a leading telecommunications service provider in Ecuador, was … in over 12 cities within Ecuador, and is the leading corporate Internet and data … Hughes Network Systems, LLC (Hughes) is the world’s leading provider of … a premier global provider of satellite operations and digital TV solutions.
    Hughes Broadband Satellite Technology to Power Services across …
    http://www.hughes.com/resources/hughes-broadband-satellite-tec…

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I know expats who use Hughes in Belize, but don’t personally know anyone using it in Ecuador. Thanks for this!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.