$$ into CR?

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum $$ into CR?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JAMES S.

It’s very likely that my wife & I will decide we just cannot live without a car in CR & we have already decided not to ship one from the U.S. As I understand it we will be hard pressed to open any sort of bank account in CR while we have temporary residency permits, so what options are open to us to actually have the colones “in hand” to complete the purchase? We are planning to make use of ATM’s for our day-to-day living expenses, but they’re not so useful for buying a car.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jim Sanders

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Jim,

You won’t be able to open a bank account on a tourist visa under your personal name. But you would be able to form a corporation (you need an attorney/notary in Costa Rica for this) with you as the “officer/president” and open an account in the name of the corporation. It would essentially work like any bank account, with wire transfers, debit cards, etc. available.

As a temporary resident, with the pensionado (retiree) program, for example, you will have no problem opening a bank account as either an individual or for a corporation.

As far as buying a car, your best bet if won’t have a bank account at the time of purchase is to go to the bank teller and ask for a cash advance using your debit card. This will allow you to withdraw $1,000 to $2,000 (depend on each bank’s specific policy and your U.S. banks rules) a day from your account back in the states. There is a small surcharge. It’s not ideal. But you could do that for a few days until you have the cash you need for the car. Many sellers will take dollars, by the way.

JAMES S.

Thanks very much, Jason. Great advice!

JimS

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.