Is Farm grown/raised food available?

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Is Farm grown/raised food available?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I understand about grocery stores in Ecuador. What I’d like more details on is about what I call ‘bizarres’ (like in Ukraine). I’m wondering if places where one can go to purchase farm raised vegetables, raw milk and other homemade dairy products like butter, creams, and cheeses, fresh eggs, and grass fed beef and pork and poultry? I’d like to buy as much as I can somewhere besides the supermarket. And the big question, is that practice safe. It is safe in the Ukraine, for example, but I’d like to know about Ecuador. And, I assume that if a person owns their own residence that they can purchase a deep freeze?

thanks, Steve Van Osdell

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

We have open air mercados here in Ecuador — like a farmer’s market. Each town… and in the cities, each neighborhood, has a specific market day. There are also trucks that traverse the streets selling stuff. And we have sources for dairy products, even the raw and non-pasteurized stuff that’s banned in the U.S.

Now, you can’t be guaranteed that everything from these sources is organic. However, in the town where I live — as just about anywhere else — once you connect to local life, you’ll find the organic farms and produce markets. Yes, there are freezers in Ecuador and you can certainly buy one for your home. So many varieties of so many unique things grow here, you will love it.

Susan, this is GREAT information! Wish we had some photos of some of those mercados!

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Stephen, do a Google image search on Ecuador mercados… you should come up with hours’ worth of photos to browse.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.