Is making home made beer legal in Panama?

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Is making home made beer legal in Panama?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MICHAEL MOORE
    Participant

Just curious as here in the USA we can legally make 200 (250 if head of household) gallons a year. It is a fun hobby I really enjoy, and it is fun to share with friends (no selling).
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Hi Mike- I don’t know the answer to your specific question, and since it is a legal query, it may be best to ask an attorney.

You may want to submit your question to Panamanian attorney Rainelda Mata-Kelly:
    Email: rmk@mata-kelly.com

Perhaps she can assist you.
    Regards, Linda

Hi Linda,

I’ll just add to my colleague’s response that, when in doubt, people here dial 311, that’s an information/feedback line and the operators can patch you through to police or give you the number to dial any government service you need.

Panama newspaper La Prensa publishes helpful/important numbers at this link: http://www.prensa.com/datos-importantes. I have it bookmarked in my phone and my computer and when I need a number (for ambulance, etc) I simply access the link or dial 311.

If you become a resident here and have an insurance policy with ambulance service included, you will be given a direct number to dial your ambulance service.

Regards,

Jessica

Hi Michael,

If you’re making it for your own consumption (and/or for gifts) and not selling the product, you’re probably fine (this is likely not heavily regulated here).

Panama law is pretty forgiving when it comes to common-sense situations (if you’re not hurting anyone, the government is unlikely to try to prosecute you).

You probably wouldn’t be able to use “controversial” ingredients like hemp.

But as my colleague Linda suggests, you should definitely have a reputable Panama attorney check and make sure just to be on the safe side. When in doubt, check and make sure you’re on the right side of the law!

MICHAEL MOORE
    Participant

Thank you all for your inputs. Yes that will be on my list of items to check out with the lawyer and I am already building my query list (ham radio license, drivers license with motorcycle endorsement, etc.). I will continue reading a lot of the forum posts from the past to reduce my question set.
    Thank you again.
    Mike

Our pleasure Mike!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.