Itinerary

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Itinerary

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

First of all, many thanks for the great sample itineraries that you on the site. We have 2 wks to spend but are pretty convinced by our research that we would live in Cuenca. We are flying into Guayquil and I am wanting to see a few things beyond Cuenca. For example traveling up to Playas to see the coast, then to Cuenca for the bulk of our time and perhaps a visit to Vilcabama. We dont’ have a desire to go to the Quito. Does this sound like a good plan, and if yes, what sort of time frame would be reasonable to give to these 2 stopovers? thanks so much for your help. Jennifer

2 nights Playa, 2 nights Salinas, the rest of the time in Cuenca… that’s what I would do…

LAWRENCE SCHULTZ
    Participant

Jennifer
    I had an abbrievated visit to Ecuador four years ago. Abbrievated because I came down with an intestinal problem and after 2 1/2 weeks decided to go home.
    We rented a condo in Salinas for what was suppose to be five weeks. Salinas was nice as we were one block from the ocean and had an unbelievably nice condo with a clear view to the ocean. We walked the boardwalk (malecon), spent time on the beach etc.
    We got a ride to the airport in Guayaquil and flew to Vilcabamba which was cool. Picture a small town with dirt roads and an occasional person on horseback who would tie their horse up to a post like they did in the Old West. Worth a visit but not for more than two days.
    I would highly recommend you go visit Otavalo and Cotaccachi which is about 1 1/2 hours by car north of the new Quito airport. We had planned on flying there until I got sick.

The other thing we did not get to do was to fly to Cuenca which I am sure you will do. The other thing to do would be to fly to Manta and rent a car and drive up and down the coast to see the ocean villages. There is quite a bit of new condo developments along the coast and I would think this would be a worthwhile thing to do. As a matter of fact I intend to get back to Ecuador to do the things I mentioned to you that I did not get to do. Just be careful to not eat at some of the little hole in the wall restaurants on the ocean because I think that is where I picked up the intestinal problem.

I wouldn’t rule out Quito’s surrounding barrios without first making a visit.

You’re right, Bobby. I happen to love Quito and it has a lot to offer…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.