Keep Medicare?

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Keep Medicare?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    TED HOPKINS
    Participant

My wife & I are on medicare ($100/month each) and have tricare for life backup. We are both fairly healthy. My question is whether
    we could, or should, opt out if we move to Ecuador. Hopefully, any return trips to the states would be very infrequent and short.

This is completely a personal decision only you and your wife can make.

TED HOPKINS
    Participant

Is Medicare coverage useless in Ecuador?

I am not yet eligible for Medicare, Ted, but my understanding of the coverage is, yes, it cannot be used in Ecuador.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

You cannot use Medicare in Ecuador. If you feel 100% sure you will never go back to the US, you can drop it. If you’re not sure, my understanding is that you can “put it on hold” for awhile — check out the US government’s Medicare website for all the details. That is, if you can understand the language of government-ese…

Could you recommend a health insurance company that is accepted for someone traveling to Ecuador as a tourist?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Jerry, you can get traveler’s insurance just about anywhere — I think Blue Cross has a decent policy, but you might want to check with your personal health insurance provider – you may be able to get a rider of some sort.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.